Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Laying Oak hardwood a DIY project?

NC

10-05-12, 12:29 PM   #1  
Laying Oak hardwood a DIY project?

Someone recommended old fashioned red oak hardwood be put down, hire someone to sand then stain and seal in a low end rental rather than use a thick laminate flooring.
Is laying the a hardwood floor a DIY friendly project? The area has some type of concrete/ or leveler less than 1'' (someone said might be something called gypcrete) and floor will need more leveling too.
What would have to be done to put hardwood down in this situation, or is it impossible even if my multi talented husband could do it? I know if you say that we would need to put all new plywood down he would probably nixand would raise levels too high. thanks

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

10-05-12, 02:16 PM   #2  
You probably won't install 3/4" naildown hardwood floor if the floor is concrete with leveler. Obvious question, where would the 2 1/2" staples/nails go? I would opt for a click lock 1/2" or 5/8" engineered flooring. It is more user friendly, and definitely DIY compatible. You would use the manufacturer's prescribed (or equivalent) underlayment, and start laying. I do it professionally, but there was a first time , and it went without a hitch. I would (and did) recommend it over laminates. Even if I were installing full size hardwood, I would opt for prefinished rather than having my house in an upheaval for a week while it is sanded, stained, and coated with poly. The finish on today's wood flooring (engineered included) is far superior to the finish you would put down on raw wood, IMO.

Forum Topic Moderator

VA

10-08-12, 01:09 PM   #3  
Mostly agree with chandler except in the fact that you mentioned that it is going in a "low end" rental. Laminates can be as much as 50% less than wood alternatives. Catch the sale right and you could save a ton. Intallaton if you had it installed would be the same though.

Click and go has the advantage (wood or laminate) of the ability to repair rather than replace. Meaning, if a section of the floor gets damaged by your renters, you can "unzip" the floor and replace the damaged section(s). Buy an extra case of planks and keep it in a safe place for future needs and don't forget to mark the case so you remember what it is for years down the road.

Search this Thread