Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Opinions wanted: adding wood floor next to older wood floor

IN

10-15-12, 08:48 AM   #1  
Opinions wanted: adding wood floor next to older wood floor

26 years ago we moved into our house which was completely carpeted with no wood floors. Having come from a house with all wood floors my wife wanted at least some wood so we did a small area (9x9) in 2 1/4" oak that is adjacent to the living room and leads into the kitchen and upstairs. We have a baby grand on this floor. We are now considering wood for the LR and DR. We would want pre-finished since we don't want to deal with the mess of sanding and finishing. Obviously we can't match the existing floor exactly which will butt against the new floor thru an 8' opening.

So here are the options: 1) go with a contrasting color so it's clear we didn't try to match the existing floor, 2) get as close in color to the existing floor as we can but run the boards perpendicular, or 3)???

Of course, new carpet is an option also and my better half will just have to live with her 80 sq ft of wood floor until we move.

Although I have seen it in pictures, I have never seen different color wood floors in adjacent rooms in a real house. Is it done in the real world or only in the advertising of wood flooring companies?

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

10-15-12, 09:34 AM   #2  
I've worked on a few [very few] homes where there were 2 different stains on the hardwood but usually it was at a closed doorway and the different color room had a whole different feel/style than the rest of the house.

If you can't get a close match to the existing wood in the foyer I'd consider refinishing that area to match the new hardwood although it won't be a perfect match as the prefinished wood has a bevel on the edges.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Super Moderator

AZ

10-15-12, 11:54 AM   #3  
What about a contrasting border of some sort...then a close match for the rest of the field? I've seen that turn out nice.

I even saw on one of the home shows where they did that with a stone like tile around the outside of a entry foyer, then wood in the center (might have been the other way around).

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

Group Moderator

WI

10-15-12, 12:10 PM   #4  
I'm envisioning a darker floor than the doors and trim with a transition strip between the rooms closer to the color of the door and trim - it looks good it my head

IN

10-15-12, 12:23 PM   #5  
Keep 'em coming guys.

Just to add some additional details, there are no doors in either the LR or DR. The opening between the LR and DR is about 5' as is the opening between the LR and the "landing" area that has the existing wood floor. All our trim is painted an off-white.

Group Moderator

WI

10-15-12, 12:29 PM   #6  
My idea just went out the window....

Search this Thread