60's topnail red oak floor transplant project to 70's home

Old 10-22-12, 06:13 PM
60's topnail red oak floor transplant project to 70's home

Hello all,

My mother's house originally had red oak 2 1/4" top nailed flooring that is about 5/16" thick. I replaced all of her downstairs hardwood with new hardwood (it was damaged) and most of her upstairs. She still has two bedrooms left with the original red oak which I plan to replace after I move into my new house. My new house is built in 1970 and also has the same type of red oak flooring in all rooms except the family room and in law suite. I think I have enough of the original red oak flooring in my mom's house to reclaim and install in the family room of my new house.

Both houses have 3" wide 3/4" tongue and groove subfloor planks and both houses old red oak seem to have a clear polyurethane type finish which has yellowed over time.

I am very good and pulling up these strips without damaging them (I've already done more than 600 square feet in the past).

Here is my plan:

1) Pull as much of the red oak floor from her house without damaging it.
2) Screw down subfloor planks in my new house family room with deck screws.
3) Lay rosin paper on family room floor.
4) Get 1" flooring nails with slightly larger shanks/heads and top nail the old wood through the original holes into the family room in my house.
5) Fill the top nail holes with a quality red oak wood filler.

Does this sound like a feasible plan? These planks are not beveled, they are completely flat. I am concerned that when i lay the old floor into the family room that I may need to sand it if the planks have lippage but that is an acceptable risk to me. The other issue I have is finding 1" flooring nails suitable for a topnail installation that is slightly larger than the original nails.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-12, 06:26 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I question the 5/16" thickess of the flooring. I have never face nailed anything that thin. Could you post a few pictures of what you have so we can see what you have? May help to guide your project. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 10-22-12, 06:34 PM
Not a question but a fact. In the Philadelphia area this type of flooring is everywhere, very popular in the early to mid 20th century. I have attached a couple of pictures. In one picture you can see the new 3/4" white oak tongue and groove flooring next to the old 5/16" top nailed flooring.

Here is an article that provides some information on this type of hardwood flooring.