cutting jamp over floor transitions?

Old 10-26-12, 05:59 PM
cutting jamp over floor transitions?

Just not sure how to deal with floor height differences in doorway? In my large addition I have put thick pad/carpet in my bedroom. I am going to put 3/4" engineered hardwood in the hallway but don't have it laid yet. I would like to install the door to bedroom, but didn't know how to deal with jamb? If I put jamb on top of carpet, it will be too high over hardwoods and will be a gap. Do I need to notch it so extends father down (3/4" off subfloor) where hardwoods will be and so it is sitting on the carpet that is already laid? or do put jamp 3/4" off subfloor and lift carpet where jamb will be so jamb can extend down beside the carpet (no carpet below jamb)? should I just wait till hardwoods in place before installing door?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-12, 06:26 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I take it there is no door presently. You are installing a new door with frame. Notch it out to where the hardwood and carpet meet at the middle of the stop molding, or the middle of the door. That way when the door is closed, you don't have carpet showing on the hardwood side, and vice versa. Wait until hardwoods are in before installing it.

Old 10-26-12, 07:23 PM
Group Moderator
Doors are normally installed before any floor coverings go down, so your door would not be installed on TOP of the carpet, but the door would sit right on the subfloor (or would be shimmed up slightly so the carpet can kind of be cut around and shoved under). As for the wood floor, jambs are usually undercut so that the flooring can slide under the jambs for a precision fit.

You can also do what Larry said and wait, but you will want to ensure the floor is perfectly level on each side, or it will force your door out of square. If the floor is say 1/8" out of level you would need to make one notch 1/8" deeper than the other to level the head of the door.

I think its nice when the carpet starts just under the door edge, rather than halfway under, so that the wood floor almost fully extends under the door.

Old 10-27-12, 02:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'd peel back the carpet, install the door and re-cut the carpet to fit the new door. With the hardwood, Undercut the door jamb to a depth that makes sense based on if it is an inswing or outswing door in relation to the hardwood.

Search this Thread