Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Laying floor in kitchen, hall and foyer, where should we start??

MI

11-12-12, 11:58 AM   #1  
Laying floor in kitchen, hall and foyer, where should we start??

Hi,
I am just looking for tips on where we should start with with instillation of our new laminate floor, for reference this is it... (The Home Depot).

I understand we are going against what many seem to think is a good flooring for a kitchen but we like it and have other laminates in our house that work well with our two large dogs.

I have attached a diagram of the space we are looking to cover, highlighted in brown will be where the flooring will go, butting up to and not under the cabinets! Originally we thought we could lay it under the cabinetry which would have been worlds easier but we quickly learned that was a bad idea and now we have to tackle working around our cabinetry including an island!

We want to keep it a continuous flow between the spaces we plan to cover, with no transition pieces between those rooms/halls.

Our original plan was to start in the top right corner of the diagram, laying the planks parallel to the living and dining room. However, my concern is the interlocking technique required for this type of flooring. I am worried that once I reach the area under the kicks for the lower cabinets it will pose an issue, namely trying to manipulate under those kicks.

Our other thought was to start in the bottom right corner of the kitchen and fan our way out but I am worried about a funny edge butting up to the living and dining rooms, and the possibility that they may not be a perfectly even line if the room is not an exact rectangle (if that makes sense)...

Ideally I'd like to start in the top right or left of the kitchen to assure clean lines along the wall between the kitchen and dining room as well as the kitchen and living room but this brings me back to my concern about being backed into the busy corner of cabinets...

Also should we plan to lay this flooring under our fridge and stove (we don't plan to under our dishwasher for moisture reasons)?

I am just curious if anyone has laid this type of flooring in a kitchen and if they have any tips for working around existing cabinetry. Thanks for your time!

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

VA

11-12-12, 01:06 PM   #2  
I would run the floor orientated from where you say kitchen to the lower hall. Turn your laminate 90 degrees. This way you can square it up with all the elements you need to hit. Straight in the main hall, straight in the hall to foyer and square to the cabinet and island. Keep in mind that there usually is more scrap/waste generated with a tile pattern of laminate as opposed to a woodgrain pattern. This is due to all grout lines needing to line up. With woodgrain, whatever you cut on one side of the room works as the starter piece on the other side.

I think that if you start as you have planned, there isn't enough ground covered before you are slam up against cabinets and islands and such. Afraid that when you emerge, you will be all cockeyed and the rest of the floor won't flow well visually. Remember, with grout lines, even if you are off a little against a wall, it will stick out like a sore thumb as a crooked floor.

Begin by loose laying several rows wide from kitchen to bottom hallway. You don't cut any, these are only so you can establish a good line to work from that allows you to look good in all your sections. Once you find a line that is square with everything, snap a chaulk line and use that as a reference line. Measure back from the reference line down to the foyer to begin laying the floor. I would remove all baseboard molding to give you a little more "wiggle room" should you get down the hall and find you have strayed from the main reference line. You can then pivot the floor to better align with the reference line.

Search this Thread