Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Flooring, Floor Coverings and Coatings Center > Solid Hardwood, Engineered and Laminate Flooring
Reload this Page >

Installing Washer/Dryer in Closet - should I protect existing Hardwood Floors?

Old 11-18-12, 06:45 AM

My mother is aging and getting too old to navigate to her basement where the original design is for the existing washer and dryer.

She has a deep enough closet in her spare/guest bedroom that I've decided to install a stackable washer/dryer unit into that existing closet. Plumbing/wiring/venting all done and I'm about ready to wiggle it in there and connect it up, but I hadn't really thought through the floor.

The existing floor is the original solid oak hardwood that resides throughout the first floor of the house (maybe 80-100 year old house). It's been covered by carpet for many years and is in pretty good shape in this room. I'm nervous just putting a washer/dryer (and really what amounts to a 10-15 year temporary laundry room) in this space on top of the original hardwood floors, but I wasn't going to put it on top of carpet. I also am adverse to putting adhesive linoleum squares directly on top of that original hardwood floor. Any thoughts to preserve the wood? Or should I just hope it doesn't get too wet in there and not be concerned putting it directly on the original hardwood floors?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-12, 06:53 AM
Group Moderator
You can buy plastic safety pans intended to catch leaks to set the washer in. You could cut a piece of 1/4" Masonite or 3/8" plywood to lay on the floor. No need to fasten, just laid down. If you use Masonite or plywood give it a couple of coats of paint on both sides before installing.

Old 11-18-12, 07:06 AM
Good idea. Masonite or tempered hardboard should be thin enough to still meet well in the transition to the carpet and would be a good protector since this isn't meant to be here looking attractive for 50+ years. Thanks!