Hardwood vs Engineered

Old 11-22-12, 05:40 AM
Hardwood vs Engineered

Looking for some input on the difference in quality between hardwood and engineered products. My wife an I are planning on replacing our floors after the new year, and are up in the air about which product is superior.We do have pets and kids, and would like to protect our investment as best we can. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-12, 06:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Each has its merits. Solid wood can be refinished multiple times should the need arise. Engineered can also be refinished but is limited to 1 maybe 2 times. Engineered flooring is made like plywood, with the top most layer being your hardwood selection. As the various layers are each set perpendicular to each other, it controls expansion and contraction to a degree. Solid wood, all installed in the same direction will expand/contract more in one direction than the other. I believe the expansion is along the width of the slats not the length. Some installers try to control the expansion by reversing or turning the wood around during the install. Think of starting the installation in the center of the room and working out in both directions.

Today's finishes are super hard and are designed to resist scratching, even with pets. Compare the various manufacturers finishes to get the most durable product for your needs. My guess, you will be happy with either choice.

Old 11-22-12, 11:20 PM
The biggest difference is that with the engineered floor you can do it in a day and move in that night. With the solid wood you will need to lay the floor, sand it, finish it and most likely several coats of finish over a several day period. Field applied finishes are not as hard or durable as the factory applied finishes. Total costs are not that much different.

Old 11-23-12, 03:01 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Unless you buy prefinished full thickness hardwood. But it takes longer to lay it than engineered click lock.

Old 11-23-12, 07:35 PM
Hello chandler,
I think nowadays engineered wood is better because it can be easily renovated. It is thinner then solid hardwood. This allows easily transition between floors that are close in height. The other benefit of engineer wood is it can be refinished, although depending on the thickness of the wood top.

Old 11-24-12, 04:51 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You can do all that with full thickness prefinished hardwood, too. Although with a 50 year wear through warranty, it's nice to know you may not have to. I like engineered flooring. Just don't have a use for laminates, although I have installed a lot for clients.

Old 11-24-12, 04:06 PM
Thanks everyone for the input. I appreciate all the help. I will look for the thickness of the top layer in engineered wood, and compare quality and cost. It sounds like engineered is as good if not better than hardwood.