Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

leveling concrete basement floor before laying laminate.

11-28-12, 08:04 PM   #1  
leveling concrete basement floor before laying laminate.

I eyeballed (mistake) the concrete after tearing up carpet to see if it was level for laying laminate. I began laying and now I ran into an area at the base of my staircase that dips in the middle. it's enough to cause the laminate to not lock properly and since the rest of the floor is relatively level, I'm wondering if I can simply lay additional pad or vapor barrier under this small section.
the previous owners removed part of 2 walls and a door that used to be at the bottom of the stairs. the landing area in between where the walls used to extend is where the dip occurs.
i bought laminate because of cost considerations.
also, there are 2 larger cracks and I've been told they need to be filled, although I also have been told don't bother.
any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as my wife is becoming slightly irritated.

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

WI

11-29-12, 06:46 AM   #2  
Suggestion # 1 is to not put laminate in a basement but it looks like I might be too late with that one.

Suggestion # 2 is some self leveling compound to fill the dip.

Forum Topic Moderator

VA

11-29-12, 03:14 PM   #3  
Is the rise at the steps or is there a true bowl in the shape of the floor. If you use SLC and it is a rise in the concrete neat the step, it will throw off the whole substructure in relation to the rest of the flooring already in place.

Get a long straightedge (piece of flooring standing on edge will work) and place it on the concrete at the extreme right side of the pictures parallel to the flooring strips. Slide it toward the steps keeping it tight to the ground. If the leading edge of the straightedge floats, you have a dip. If it touches the concrete causing the straightedge to rise, then you have a bulge in the concrete. Dips can be leveled with compound, bulges/rises will need to be chipped out.

Search this Thread