Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Spilled Oxalic acid (wood bleach) on wood floor. Help!

KS

12-16-12, 09:58 AM   #1  
Spilled Oxalic acid (wood bleach) on wood floor. Help!

I was using oxalic acid solution to bleach a few small stains in a wood floor that had been sanded to remove the old poly. I went to use the hand sander while it dried and the cord knocked the glass container over. I panicked and poured baking soda and water all over it attempting to neutralize it, and now the floor has a terrible brown spot where it dried.
Anyone know how to fix this? I tried using the wood bleach on a small area of the stain, but it makes it way too light, so I am not sure I want to treat the whole stain in this manner.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

12-16-12, 03:22 PM   #2  
Have you tried resanding the affected area?

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Group Moderator

WI

12-17-12, 05:39 AM   #3  
May not be this drastic but sometimes the best answer is to bleach the whole thing a uniform color and then stain it.

KS

12-17-12, 07:31 AM   #4  
I have tried sanding it with 100 grit, it did not seem to help. The other problem with the wood bleach is that I can still see the faint outline of the stain... Anyone used this stuff much? I have a few questions on it.

Group Moderator

WI

12-17-12, 08:03 AM   #5  
I've used regular chlorine bleach many times on my deck but have never actually used oxalic acid. That said, what are your questions?

KS

12-18-12, 08:18 PM   #6  
First off, what caused the discoloration? I would've thought that neutralizing the acid would stop the chemical reaction and not cause any discoloration, but apparently the acid+base reaction somehow made the dark color. Was just wondering if anyone had seen something like this happen before? Maybe it's not the baking soda, but some other factor that caused the discoloration (ie minerals in the water)?
Secondly, I was wondering how much of the residual stain will be visible once I apply wood stain to the spot. The bleach is close to completely restoring the wood but there is definitely visible proof that the stain was there.
Lastly, just using the bleach by itself causes a line to appear as well. I've tried "feathering" it out, but the line is still faintly visible. Any advice on getting rid of this?

I have lots of left over wood from other projects (it's all Oak, if that matters) so I am open to experiment on the scrap pieces, so please conjecture if you have any inklings of ideas!

Search this Thread