Refinish hardwood floor?

Old 12-16-12, 03:06 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Refinish hardwood floor?

Recently purchased a house and am curious about refinishing the hardwood floors, but not sure if it makes sense. The floors don't appear terrible, but there are about nickle sized gaps throughout. Which I read I can buy some filler to use to make the gaps less noticeable. I'm completely new to this so I'm just looking for some advice. Does it make sense to refinish the floor?

Thanks

Attached Images   
Old 12-16-12, 03:42 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Overall, the flooring looks to be in good shape. Not sure what a good cleaning would to to help the appearance, but a light sanding and refinish would make them pop. I would use an orbital square sander with fine pads to scuff the surface, then apply a good flooring polyurethane. Sometimes small gouges can just add character, but if you feel like they should be filled, you can do it before you sand them down. I believe this floor has little to no stain, so poly may suffice for a good looking floor. Let us know how the deep cleaning goes.

Old 12-17-12, 01:06 PM
I
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Personally, I like the gaps. My old floors have those nickel sized gaps and past experience shows me that filler just ends up looking bad after a certain amount of time as it will crack or the floors will expand and contract leaving filler in the middle, etc... I'd definitely refinish the floor by either doing what chandler suggested or taking it all the way down to the wood with a large floor sander and going with your stain/finish of choice.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: