Water Damage To Hardwood Floor

Old 12-18-12, 03:02 PM
B
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water Damage To Hardwood Floor

My house was built in 1951 with real hardwood all throughout. The wood is 3/4 thick, 1.5" oak planks running parallel to the floor joists. Subfloor is ?x6 planks running perpendicular to the joists/hardwood. I do not know the thickness of the subfloor.

I bought the house with some very worn down carpet, and a couple of years later I have decided to rip up the carpet and keep the wood floors throughout. However, I have one spot with what appears to me severe water damage. Link to the pics are below. I have a very strong desire to refinish these floors, but this damage is the kicker. Do you believe this can be sanded out, or are these boards junk? I do notice a slight buckling of the boards by feel of the hand. Definitely less than 1/16. Damaged circle is approx 4' across.

I have also attached a pic from another room as reference. A light sanding and poly would fix the rest of it right up.

thanks for the advice.

Old 12-18-12, 05:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Looking along the grain, it doesn't appear to have suffered irreparable damage. It may take more sanding than the other rooms, but I believe the original wood will eventually show through with only a couple of sanding sequences. As you know it will be a trial and error. You have very little to lose in trying to bring them back to life. Let us know how it turns out.

Old 12-19-12, 09:14 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,177 Likes on 1,135 Posts
Yep, start sanding and see what happens.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: