Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

levelling subfloor for laminate flooring

PA

12-24-12, 08:14 AM   #1  
levelling subfloor for laminate flooring

Hello everyone,

I want to start workin on a room upstairs in my house. It is a back room and was built above an addition that was added to cover a porch and provide a downstairs bathroom laundry room. When the new room was framed and drywalled, they did not do anything to the floor. When we bought the home, there were still shingles on the roof which was now the floor. We had to put down a carpet or some sort of floor to "finish" the room to the loan and have used it for storage. I would like to turn it into a playroom and wanted some advice on the best way to level the floor before putting down plywood. I would like to eventually put down laminate, and do not want to raise the floor too much if not necessary, the ceiling is not that high. The floor slope is about about 5 1/2 inches over 5 1/2 feet. Any advice would be great. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

WI

12-24-12, 09:14 AM   #2  
Welcome to the forums.

That's not a typo - your floor drops 1" for every 1' of run?

PA

12-24-12, 03:36 PM   #3  
Not a typo. Approximately 1 inch drop for 1 foot of run. Like I said it used to be the roof. Under the temporary rug we put down are the shingles for the roof. It has quite a slope.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

12-25-12, 09:06 AM   #4  
Remove all the shingles and build sleepers in the opposite slope as the roof, then install your plywood. Hopefully I am "seeing" what you have. Likewise, I hope the shingles are not providing a purpose.

NJ

12-25-12, 11:36 AM   #5  
If they didn't bother leveling the floor, chances are they didn't do anything about beefing up the joists/rafters either. You are using porch rafters as joists now which may or may not be sized or spaced correctly for a live load floor. I don't know if you can or want to do anything about it at this point but it may be a little bouncy if used as a play room.

GA

12-25-12, 12:18 PM   #6  
Toolmon is correct. I was assuming the roof of the building was sufficient to handle a live load. May not be. I'd check that and beef it up before putting such a load on it if needed. Your new joisting can correct the angle and sit on the plates with minor modification and sistering to the existing rafters.

PA

01-31-13, 07:43 PM   #7  
Thank you everyone for your responses so far. I have not looked under the roof. The room underneath is a laundry room in most of it and a half bath in the rest. They built an entire room above this laundry room. The room below the play room was once an outside space, where the basement exited through a set of Bilco doors. They built the room on the back of the house to add a bathroom because the elderly man who lived here could not go upstairs anymore. It was not until several years later that they built the room above it; the room that will become the play room. I have plans to gut the downstairs laundry room and replace the floor, walls and ceiling. While I have the ceiling off, I can take a look at what is underneath the floor in the play room. I do know that the room is fairly new and a building permit was obtained. The borough I am in is very, very strict about its codes. Based on this, I am hoping that they had to do something before they could build the room.

GA

02-01-13, 05:12 AM   #8  
Again, visualizing it is very difficult. Would there be any way for you to post pictures of the exterior, showing the overall construction as well as some on the interior? No closeups, just general pictures. Some things we have not encountered, but may have a suggestion for you. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

PA

03-03-13, 11:38 AM   #9  
Hello everyone,

Sorry it has been so long since I have posted on this thread. I have been busy lately with some job transitions. I will have some pictures up in the next day so that it is easier to explain what I am trying to do and talk about. Thanks for the help so far, it is much appreciated.

Search this Thread