Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Install Hardwood in a small 1/2 Bath

12-30-12, 11:05 AM   #1  
Install Hardwood in a small 1/2 Bath

My half bath is approx 3ft wide and 7.5 feet long. Everything is cleared out and the floor is all prepped for hardwood. I am looking to use 2 1/4 & 3/4 Bruce hardwood from Lowes because that is the width of the rest of the hardwood on the floor. Luckily I have found some that is so close in texture/color that with a transition piece it won't be noticeably different.

My plan was to rent a pneumatic nail gun and go to town. Only, now taking a step back- it seems I will not be using the gun on hardly any rows since the width of the half bath is only 3 feet. (If I can fit it in for any rows!)

I'm trying to decide how to go about doing this project. I could face nail the entire floor and maybe add in some glue- but it seems like this would create a visually unappealing final product.

Ultimate question: Is face nailing the entire flooring a good plan? I'm pretty sure that the hardwood cannot be just glued together. Any tips or new ideas are very much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NC

12-30-12, 11:58 AM   #2  
It sounds like you will be running the boards down the long dimension of the room. If so, you are right you will not be able to use the pneumatic nailer too much. Because I own one I would use it. I'd face nail the first row. Then use a pneumatic brad nailer 45 degrees into the tongue with following rows until far enough off the wall to use the flooring nailer. Then as I get close to the opposing wall where you might hit it with your hammer on the back swing I put a scrap piece of plywood to protect the wall. Then as you get closer you can turn your hammer sideways and give as much tap as you can in the limited space. Then go back to the brad nailer a with that an maybe one row manually nailed you should almost get to the wall and face nail the last strip at the outer edge where the base molding will cover the nail holes. I like to pre drill your face nail holes to avoid splitting the wood.

After typing all that I think you might be best off just renting or buying a brad nailer and use it for your whole floor since it's such a small area.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

12-30-12, 06:29 PM   #3  
21 square feet? I'd install tile and call it a day. So much face nailing, you will have a bunch of holes to fill. Not to mention the potential water problems down the road.

Group Moderator

WI

12-31-12, 05:27 AM   #4  
I'm with Chandler, I'd use tile instead.

Search this Thread