Glue or Nail Replacement ?

Old 01-01-13, 07:50 PM
Glue or Nail Replacement ?

Hi All,

I'm doing repairs on my hardwoood oak floor where termites ate it. It's tounge and groove. I've taken the bottom of the groove off of the replacement slat so I can put it in place. I'm going to be doing a stain and poly on it eventually. This is just the repair part of the whole refinish.

How should I secure it? Should I nail it in place or glue it in? The sub-floor is wood. I have quite a few spots to fix before I do the refinish so it would need to hold for a while. I would rather do it right than do it quick.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-13, 07:23 AM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

Glue would be easier. How was the current floor installed?

Old 01-02-13, 10:34 AM
Thanks for the welcome and response.

I'm not sure how it was put down. But it is the orignal floor from when the house was built in the 40's. The sub-floor is slats over the joists. I can see from the crawl space under the floor that the slats were painted white. Not sure if there is anything like paper between the sub-floor and the hardwood.
I 'm gonna be pulling up the bad piece tonight when I get home from work hopefully. When I glue it down, should the glue go on the tounge and groove our on the flat bottom of the new piece? I plan on useing gorrilla woodworking glue. It's the non-expanding kind they make. Will that be OK or do I need to go buy differnt stuff?