Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Floor sounds like walking on bubblewrap -- only when cold

WY

01-01-13, 09:04 PM   #1  
Floor sounds like walking on bubblewrap -- only when cold

A new hardwood floor was recently installed in my kitchen -- laid on very level 3/4" plywood -- the floor is Great Lakes Hickory 3" planks. No joints are within 6" -- all nailed within 2" of the ends plus the middle spacing (a bit closer than the 8-10" but no split tongues - you could definitely tell the hardness difference with the hickory over the oak. It has been very cold outside -- about 10 degrees average but the wood was in the home well before. We are in Wyoming so not a high humidity level. There are some random pops when walking -- they seem to only pop once (unless it is moving to another part of the board if that makes sense) - but around the back door - when it gets towards night-time (colder and no sun coming through the door) it sounds like walking on bubblewrap. The sounds gets much less after walking on it - and when warm there is no sound at all but the occasional crack. Is this noise something that will go away with time? I can get under the house and screw up through the floor but is this a waste of time?

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

01-02-13, 07:23 AM   #2  
Welcome to the forums! It may or may not go away on its own, but there may be a semi fix until it warms up a little. The tongues and grooves are rubbing against each other causing the sound. Try this. Take some talcum powder and sprinkle it on the area near the back door, sweep it in the cracks then vacuum it up. It may take some wiping as well. But once it eeks down it will "lubricate" the tongues and grooves reducing the noise. Let us know how it turns out.

WY

01-02-13, 01:05 PM   #3  
I did do that yesterday -- Ill see how it does in a few days -- during the day its fine as pie - just when the sun goes down does it do it lol. The sun comes in directly through that sliding glass door during the day -- for now I have a heater in there keeping it warm (perhaps I shouldn't?). I did notice that the tongue and grooves on the Great Lakes fit very tightly (did not seem like it was tight in a bad way - but much more exact than when I did some oak).

If it doesnt subside do you think screwing it from underneath would help?

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

01-02-13, 04:42 PM   #4  
Let's give it time to work in. Hickory, maple and oak are very hard woods, and can chafe against each other causing weird sounds. Return it to the original situation, by removing the heater, and lets see what the talcum does.

Search this Thread