When do pros install quarter round for hardwood floors?

Old 01-06-13, 09:34 AM
When do pros install quarter round for hardwood floors?

Just got a hardwood floor installed (unfinished solid). I was surprised that the contractor would install the quarter rounds on the side walls before finishing the floor. Is this common?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-13, 09:49 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
To save time he most likely was installing shoe molding (smaller than quarter round) as he went. What would consider a problem in him doing this? Did he install it prior to placing the wood on the floor? Sort of confusing.

Old 01-06-13, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator
Yeah...I'm wondering if "finishing" means completing the install of the flooring....or applying a finish to the completed floor?

I would think that wouldn't be installed until after the final sanding at a minimum?

Old 01-06-13, 02:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
While I've only installed a lit bit of shoe mold, I've painted/stained miles of it. 90% of the time the shoe mold was installed after the flooring was finished.

Old 01-06-13, 03:09 PM
I missed the "finished" part as Poly finished. I was thinking of "finishing" the job. What the others have said. The floor should be sanded, stained and finished prior to installing the shoe molding.

Old 01-06-13, 03:56 PM
Yes, finishing refers to sanding, poly, finish-sanding.
I got the job done by a so called pro. The firm had actually good reviews. Some of the reviews might have been created by the firm... But the work looks sloppy. The shoe molding was just another odd thing. I would think that you install it at the end.

Old 01-06-13, 06:08 PM
On prefinished flooring, I have one of my guys chase us around the room with shoe molding, but no finishing is required. If it looks sloppy, have the owner come out and give his seal of approval or offer to redo the slop.