Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

When do pros install quarter round for hardwood floors?

IL

01-06-13, 09:34 AM   #1  
When do pros install quarter round for hardwood floors?

Just got a hardwood floor installed (unfinished solid). I was surprised that the contractor would install the quarter rounds on the side walls before finishing the floor. Is this common?

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

01-06-13, 09:49 AM   #2  
To save time he most likely was installing shoe molding (smaller than quarter round) as he went. What would consider a problem in him doing this? Did he install it prior to placing the wood on the floor? Sort of confusing.

Super Moderator

AZ

01-06-13, 11:43 AM   #3  
Yeah...I'm wondering if "finishing" means completing the install of the flooring....or applying a finish to the completed floor?

I would think that wouldn't be installed until after the final sanding at a minimum?

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

01-06-13, 02:17 PM   #4  
While I've only installed a lit bit of shoe mold, I've painted/stained miles of it. 90% of the time the shoe mold was installed after the flooring was finished.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

GA

01-06-13, 03:09 PM   #5  
I missed the "finished" part as Poly finished. I was thinking of "finishing" the job. What the others have said. The floor should be sanded, stained and finished prior to installing the shoe molding.

IL

01-06-13, 03:56 PM   #6  
Yes, finishing refers to sanding, poly, finish-sanding.
I got the job done by a so called pro. The firm had actually good reviews. Some of the reviews might have been created by the firm... But the work looks sloppy. The shoe molding was just another odd thing. I would think that you install it at the end.

GA

01-06-13, 06:08 PM   #7  
On prefinished flooring, I have one of my guys chase us around the room with shoe molding, but no finishing is required. If it looks sloppy, have the owner come out and give his seal of approval or offer to redo the slop.

Search this Thread