Pre-finished wood flooring installed over radiant floor heating

Old 01-17-13, 05:58 AM
Pre-finished wood flooring installed over radiant floor heating

Just wondering why you can't install pre-finished wood flooring over radiant floor heating. Installing the radiant heating underneath the subflooring ...in between the joists with the 1/2" pex and have been told by a couple of people that I shouldn't put the pre-finished oak over the top of it. Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-13, 07:33 AM
Group Moderator
The nails for the flooring would destroy the pex.

Old 01-17-13, 09:16 AM
The nauls are the only reason? I was told you could lower the pex down so it not right up flush to the sub floor or you put the flooring down first nailing into the joists

Old 01-17-13, 09:26 AM
Group Moderator
Old 01-17-13, 10:16 AM
Thank you for the information. Seems like no matter who I ask I get a different answer and usually no follow up explanation.I realize there are some logistical considerations such as : the fasteners puncturing the pex and the wood movement but, people are installing it with wood flooring: I went to a weekend getaway at a Timber framed cottage in the Adirondaks and it had solid wood floors with radiant floor heat and no noticeble problems with the floor.
I also read that if you keep the water temp low it will be fine but I wanted some other opinions. Thanks again