Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Cracked stair tread

IN

01-18-13, 04:40 AM   #1  
Cracked stair tread

We live in a tri-level that was built in the late 70's and recently discovered that we have oak stair treads under the carpet. However, one of the treads in split lengthwise on the tread. The tread is encased in the stair frame. Is there some kind of way to fix this without resorting back to carpeting? I have a photo if I can figure out how to upload from my phone

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

01-18-13, 05:24 AM   #2  
Welcome to the forums! In some instances it can be repaired. I'd wait on the pix to determine that. I don't post pix from my phone, but I do email them to my big boy computer, save them in a pix file then post them from there. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

IN

01-19-13, 12:49 PM   #3  
Pic

Here is a picture of the tread...you can see the crack that runs the full length of the step. I know it is fully split in two as the front section gives and squeaks when walking on it.

Name:  cracked_tread.jpg
Views: 9297
Size:  38.8 KB

GA

01-19-13, 01:48 PM   #4  
If you have finish nails (#8 x 2") drive them on either side and wherever you detect a stringer (probably 2 equidistant from edges) on either side of the crack and countersink them, puttying over the heads and polyurethane. They won't disappear, but they wont stand out and your tread should stabilize. You won't have a happy day removing and replacing the tread as it appears to be countersunk into the skirt board.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

01-19-13, 02:11 PM   #5  
Unless you have a nail gun, you'll want to predrill the nail holes. You can use colored putty on both the crack and the nail holes to make them disappear after you've snugged the tread up.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

GA

01-19-13, 05:09 PM   #6  
Good point, Mark. I don't use a hammer except to put wood in it's place before I use a nail gun, so I am spoiled. Point of interest, I would only drill through the tread, as you will want your nail to do super holding in the underlayer.

Search this Thread