Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Floor repair and possibly refinish

CANADA

01-20-13, 09:58 AM   #1  
Floor repair and possibly refinish

So, I'm not sure what kind of wood my flooring is. It runs throughout our little house. Last year, one of the boards started to kind of peel up a bit right in front of the wood stove (pic below). This is also about 5' away from our patio door. The floors in this area do get wet when the dogs come in from the backyard. We have a throw rug in front of the door, but they aren't smart enough to wipe their feet!

Over the summer, the peeled area dropped back down and shrunk back to normal. With recent cold, we've been using the wood stove every day and the peel is back worse than last year. It's a pretty good safety hazard as one of us is going to drag our feet over it and get some pretty serious slivers.

Wondering what my options are for repair. I'm thinking of taking an orbital sander with 120 grit pad to it until it's flush again, then maybe some finer paper to smooth it out again and refinish with something?

Here's a few pics of the damaged flooring:

Hmm, maybe I shouldn't have taken such a macro close up.

Further, the finish on the floors is toast. Wasn't good when we bought the house 4 years ago and now it's really bad as dogs bring in sand from the yard, etc. The problem is I'm not sure what product to recoat it with after sanding it all down as we have a very small house, two very active dogs and nowhere to go if this is going to take more than a day to dry and cure. Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

01-20-13, 12:30 PM   #2  
Are you saying the cracked area is lifting up or that the crack just gets wider in the winter? If it's lifting up, it would have been best to re secure that piece of flooring with nails during the summer.

I'm not overly fond of the waterbased floor finishes but they do have some 2 part waterbased polys that should wear better than regular waterbased poly. I don't remember the brand but I did a staircase about 20 yrs ago [builder supplied the poly so it would match the rest of the hardwood] I had a little leftover so instead of pouring it out I took it home and painted a textured masonite door in my shop with it. Not sure what that staircase looks like today but my door still looks good

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

CANADA

01-20-13, 12:49 PM   #3  
It's hard to explain MarkSr, and even harder to take a picture of. It's cracking along one of the grains in the wood and a sliver of one side is lifting. Half the board isn't lifting, more like a long section of splinters? A very thin wafer of the particular board. I'm obviously having trouble finding the words to describe it, and the wafer is too thin to take a good picture of. You can't re-secure it though, there's not enough to re-secure. The crack isn't getting any wider though. I've really got to do something about it though. A friend had one of these and rammed a huge sliver into his foot. Doctor said they couldn't go in and take it out as too many small bones and tendons nearby. He caned, and crutched for six months before it infected and popped and worked it's way out.

In terms of re finishing, that's a really tough one. Our house isn't big enough to not go in a part of it for a few days. We'd literally be almost on top of each other. So, I'm trying to figure out a way to quickly refinish the floor. It has to be dried, cured and ready for heavy traffic within days. I don't even think there's a way to do this.

This little beast is a purebred Belgian Malinois named Ace. If you know anything about these dogs...... They're active and basically never stop moving.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

01-20-13, 12:55 PM   #4  
I wonder if you'd be better off cutting out the offending board and replacing it?

I'm sure you know you are going to have to bite the bullet sooner or later and refinish the floors. I doubt it could be sanded and 3 coats of poly in less than 2 days. Would putting the dogs in a kennel [or friend/relative's house] for a few days be an option?

CANADA

01-20-13, 01:02 PM   #5  
I'm thinking for now I might try sanding it down. Even if I get a divot, it's better than what we've got now. But yes, cut out and replace might have to happen. Since it's cracking along the grain, I'm sure the problem runs deeper than it appears.

Yup. Gonna have to do this at some point. Might have to borrow friends RV and park it out front and camp for a few days. Hard to find a temp home/boarding situation for the male above. He's a little nasty at times with strangers. The female is another story. She's been booted from kennels because she's a pure escape artist. If she can't get out, she crushes her teeth on the fence/bars.

Full sand and three coats. Oh man. And find a spot to move furniture too. In an 850sq' house.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

01-20-13, 01:17 PM   #6  
...... and you expected a painter's life to be easy?

CANADA

01-20-13, 01:26 PM   #7  
Nope, that's why I bought a house with wood walls everywhere. Thought that would be a way to avoid painting at my own house. Almost had my wife convinced we couldn't paint until someone asked her why I didn't just oil prime the walls and paint. Bathroom and entrance way are now done. Bedroom is apparently next. Then kitchen....

Now the stupid floors. She knows we have to do this and knows I can do it. Sadly, so do I.

Search this Thread