Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

New floor in Bathroom

UT

01-21-13, 08:00 AM   #1  
New floor in Bathroom

I have an 7x11 upstairs bathroom that we are going to redo.

Wife wants a Tile Floor. If weight is a problem and it might be I might want a hardwood floor.

Can you help me with the pros and cons of hardwood in a bathroom?

Thanks

Sponsored Links

NJ

01-21-13, 08:08 AM   #2  
I'm no flooring guy but I don't think there are any pros, only cons.

Group Moderator

WI

01-21-13, 08:18 AM   #3  
Ok, let's start at the basics: What is the size, spacing and unsupported span of your floor joists? What are the layers in your current flooring?

UT

01-21-13, 08:25 AM   #4  
Mitch

I am not sure I will look into it tonight. And starting with the basics will really help me!

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

CANADA

01-21-13, 08:57 AM   #5  
Checking the Floor

You can check your floor layers by looking in the heat register. Pull out the register and you can get a side view of the layers. If it is vinyl flooring there will most likely be a 1/4" layer of plywood under the vinyl. At the bottom there will be a subfloor either 5/8" or 3/4" plywood/OSB board in a newer house and wood planks about 1" or so thick. You can determine the layers in between.
If you are worried about weight of tiles you can use cement board underlay instead of a drypack mortar bed. You ca use cement board underlay on 16" OC joist according to the OBC.

Steve
Oshawa, ON

Last edited by Shadeladie; 01-21-13 at 09:06 AM. Reason: Advertising NOT allowed

Search this Thread