Red Oak and Cheese

Old 01-21-13, 02:53 PM
Red Oak and Cheese

Hello all,

I am doing a small project with red oak and notice when I cut it or drill holes it smell like a good old cheese. Does anyone know why?
Not that I find that disgusting but makes me allways appetite of cheese.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-13, 04:10 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If you really smell it closer it smells more like cat pee. Not much difference, though Good cheese doesn't have to smell all that good, I mean.

Old 01-21-13, 04:17 PM
Smells are different for everyone. For me it smells like a good aged cheese. lol
But I would like to know the reason for the smell before I bite in.

Old 01-22-13, 03:59 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Not sure of the smell reasons. I do know white oak has a different smell. Your olfactory nerves are the closest to the brain. That is why smells can take you back to yesteryear. My first carpentry tool box was made of white oak..........this was 60 years ago or more. To this day, when I smell white oak, my mind flips back to that tool box memory.
Sort of like country ham and biscuits in grandma's pie safe..........you know. Like a magnet.

Old 01-22-13, 07:02 AM
Isn't that funny how the brain works? I love good cheese. I grew up in Germany and we have very very different kind of cheese from all over the world and that red oak makes me almost to lick on it.
Wouldn't wondering if I find myself sitting on the couch, watching a movie and drilling holes into a red oak board for the smell. Other people eat popcorn, I drill holes. lol