Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Floating Click Lock Cork Flooring

FL

01-23-13, 08:39 PM   #1  
Floating Click Lock Cork Flooring

I recently installed floating click lock cork engineered wood flooring in my kitchen. A month after install my girlfriend and I have noticed some separation on some of the boards. These are not huge gaps, but being a perfectionist, it bothers me. I did let the flooring acclimate in the kitchen for 3 or 4 days and I did leave a gap around the walls and cabinates for expansion. The subfloor is: concrete->solid wood nailed planks->moisture barrier->padding->cork. We started noticing it while we were finally getting around to installing baseboard, quarter round, and transition. I took some boards out and reset them with a tapping block, It seemed to get better but not a few days later I am noticing them again. Could it be from not getting the baseboards and transition piece down yet? Is there an easier way to tap them into place without removing boards again? What about filling them with putty or something?

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

01-24-13, 04:22 AM   #2  
Welcome to the forums! It is hard to tell, but do you have seams on two planes running together? Shouldn't the seams be offset? Sometimes this can cause the flooring to separate, since they don't have the full length of the adjacent piece to click to. What did the directions say about seams on the short end. Offset?? Or are these really tiles as opposed to flooring lengths. Closeups don't help with that.

FL

01-24-13, 04:32 AM   #3  
i'm not sure i understand what youre asking. the directions said alternating boards was not necessary.

GA

01-24-13, 04:40 AM   #4  
OK, that's cool. Are they square tiles or long boards?

FL

01-24-13, 02:38 PM   #5  
long boards, I think i know what I did wrong. i laid the entire floor with all the boards in line with each other and saved the cuts around the cabinates for last. instead i should have started on the back corner, cut a board when i got to the cabinate and then taken the other half of that cut board and started the new row. if i would have down it this way the boards would have ended up staggered like subway tile. am i correct in thinking this way? would the boards have less seperation because you WOULDNT have four corners of four different boards meeting each other?

GA

01-24-13, 02:49 PM   #6  
Yes, that was my original observation. Staggering the ends would have helped keep things in line a little better.

Search this Thread