Wood Floor Restoring

Old 01-24-13, 06:13 PM
Wood Floor Restoring

I just pulled up my old worn carpet from one of the rooms in my house and would like some help and suggestions on how to go about this. The house was built in 1910 and from research I'm guesssing the wood is Walnut. I had thought about a lighter color to brighten the room but this may now be out of the question. I have added some pictures. There was some kind of linoleum area carpet that covered a big part of it and was waxed around the sides. There are nails showing in the middle, which tells me these were boards were replaced. Judging by some loose boards near the stairs they may be tongue and groove. My questions are........What should I do about the gaping space in the one? Hiding the nails and the boards that are damaged? Is there a way to fill these in and not be noticeable?

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-13, 05:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums!

The only good way to repair the 2 chipped boards is to replace them but an argument could be made for leaving them like they are [other than counter sinking the nails and adding filler over them] and letting the age of the house show. The gap in the 1st pic should have a small piece of wood inserted and glued in place.

I don't believe you have walnut. Walnut typically finishes out dark. It looks like the wood was stained where the unfinished portion is. In your bottom pic you can see where the same board goes from light to dark. The part that is coated with shellac, poly or wax should be darker than the unfinished wood.

Old 01-25-13, 05:23 AM
Welcome to the forum.
Keep in mind that I'm not a flooring expert, but do have a similar situation on my hands with my 1930's home. Budget and time are delaying my work however.

For the nails, I've seen guys use a small punch to sink the nail a bit. Once down, they cover it with matching wood filler.
For the gaps... I've seen people fill them with a clear epoxy, leaving the visible character of the old house flooring, but removing the dangers of further damage or someone hurting themself on it. Replacing the board may not work as you'll have a hard time matching the aged wood look.

The Pros might have other suggestions.

Old 01-26-13, 03:16 PM
Thumbs up

The nail heads are huge, look like roofing nails. I have thought about counter sinking them, but may not work too well. I would like to replace the area with the gap with a piece to match and know I may have a hard time matching up. If I get it as close as possible it shouldn't look too bad once sanded and stained. Good point about the stain. I did a watermark test and scraped a small spot around the edges to try to figure out if polyurethane or wax and no watermark and not much scrapped up either. Thats good to know it may be lighter as this may be the way I want to go. I have removed most of the staples, just need to pull up carpet strips now.

Last edited by mpepper; 01-26-13 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Misspellings
Old 01-26-13, 03:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You might try drilling the center of the nail head so you can carefully pry the head off........ but I think it would be easier/quicker to just countersink them and fill the hole with either colored putty or even a dowel - maybe I'm just old and tired and don't want to deal with extra work

Old 01-26-13, 04:13 PM
I will first try to countersink and if that don't work I will drill. It will be a while before I get to that point I think. I am also working on the walls and want to do them first. That way any spills on the floor will be sanded, most is in the middle of the floor. I'm going back and forth for whatever my budget allows me to do next.

Last edited by mpepper; 01-26-13 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Punchuation
Old 01-26-13, 04:24 PM
I found www.vintagetimber.com The redwood looks really close to what I have. There isn't much detail in the wood from what I can tell. From this site it looks really nice sanded, I can't wait till I get this far. I will have to do a small area for now to see what it looks like.

Old 01-27-13, 04:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I doubt you have redwood. What you need to do is sand thru the stain [or maybe it's years of ground in dirt] on the floor to see the actual color of the wood. Where the wood is shiny is closer to the natural wood color than the unfinished portion that was under the carpet.

Old 01-27-13, 01:35 PM
Your right! No redwood here. I sanded a spot and it is lighter. The wood has been stained. I have some stain in the basement probably leftover from this project. I wish I could find some boards laying around, there is some in the garage and maybe the shed. Seller left scraps laying around and never cleaned out before I bought the house. I just took a picture of my major concern. This is probably the only 1 or 2 boards I would have to replace, others could be filled with filler made from sawdust and a piece from the broken boards to fill the gap.

Attached Images