Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Installing Kitchen Laminate Question

01-26-13, 02:05 PM   #1  
Installing Kitchen Laminate Question

I have successfully mastered the art of installing laminate flooring throughout my house. It's decent stuff, easy to cut with the right tools, doesn't scratch with my doggie running around all the time, and has given me the excuse to buy some nice new tools to install it with .

Anyhoo, I have a question about the install planned for my kitchen. The kitchen is 24 years old, solid oak, and has been painted white (I intend to sand them down and re-paint them). I have some issues with the height of the floor and the fridge cabinet and dishwasher. If I finish my install the upper fridge cabinet should be removed, however, if I'm going to do this I might as well swap the fridge with the box cabinet that's beside (to give me more room for possibly a larger fridge and stop the door from banging into the peninsula), all doable, but my question is..would I need to move the fridge receptacle over? or do fridges run on the same outlets I'd plug a microwave into, that already exists in the possible new local?

And the dishwasher, it's currently sitting on the subfloor (the original lino installers never installed it under the dishwasher with the first reno in 1990). Do I need to unhook the dishwasher (aka call a plumber/electrician) to install the new flooring? or just install up to it? How do you adjust the legs? We plan to change out the crappy laminate/formica top sometime in the next few years for granite or butcher block so if it looks a little off with my counter I can deal with it (there's maybe a 1/2 inch left between the top of the counter and the Dishwasher and I need . But for now I would like the to get the flooring done without getting the dishwasher permanently stuck.

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

VA

01-27-13, 09:56 AM   #2  
How tight is the current fridge in the opening. You need about 3/8" with the added laminate. I've gotten by with trimming the bottom rail of the cabinet to provide clearance.

Remove the bottom panel of the dishwasher and see how much clearance you currently have from the floor to the dishwasher framing. If the adjustable legs are extended you can add that distance to the clearance you already noted at the under side of the counter top. The legs adjust by screwing/unscrewing them. These measurements will tell you if the unit will be trapped by the new flooring.

There are dishwasher models that are slightly shorter than standard that will fit in your scenario. If in trouble, or your unit is on its last let, I would replace the dishwasher now.

OH

01-31-13, 03:55 PM   #3  
If you are capable of doing a flooring install, you should be more than capable to remove/install a dishwasher. Turn the water and electric off to it, remove the wires to the unit, then remove the drain and water lines. It's pretty simple.

Search this Thread