Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Remove Kitchen Lowers to Install Hardwood?

01-27-13, 10:12 AM   #1  
Remove Kitchen Lowers to Install Hardwood?

Just moved into a new home and want to replace the vinyl kitchen flooring. My plan is to buy some inexpensive "rustic" grade oak from LL, install it myself and hire someone to finish it with Bonaseal and Traffic... I figured that this is the cheapest, most durable solution (I have dogs). I'd love to try the Bona install but I've never done it and I'm frankly a little afraid to tackle that one. I digress.

I know there are MANY threads about the "flooring before cabinets" debate, but not many threads about retrofitting a kitchen with hardwood floors. I know it's optimal to install the flooring under the cabinets. My question: Is it worth the effort to rip out the cabinets to bring the floor height up 3/4"? If I hired a flooring guy, I can't imagine that he'd do that. Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

01-27-13, 11:28 AM   #2  
Do you have a dishwasher? Raising the floor in front of it may not allow it to be removed, adding hardwood under it might not give it enough clearance with the countertop. Height can also be an issue with a fridge if there is a cabinet above it.

I wouldn't bother removing the cabinets unless it would present a problem with a dishwasher or if the countertop level is already marginally low.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

01-27-13, 11:51 AM   #3  
I do have a dishwasher. I took off the toe kick and it looks like have just shy of 3/4" if I lower the legs. If I remove them completely I *may* get by. I have to be honest though, I'd almost rather buy a new 33.5" dishwasher than remove all the cabinets and re-install them. A major reason being that the plumbing is pex and the shutoffs were installed after the cabinets were installed... so they are basically trapped inside. Kinda lame really. I'd rather they be installed on the wall so that I can freely remove the cabinet, but that's not the case. I'd have to remove and re-install those fixtures.

Last edited by Shadeladie; 01-28-13 at 07:14 AM. Reason: Quote not necessary

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

01-28-13, 04:16 AM   #4  
A shorter dishwasher might be best. If you removed the legs on the old one would you be able to take it out later without damaging the new wood floor?

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Search this Thread