Hardwood over Tile

Old 01-27-13, 10:57 AM
Hardwood over Tile

Hi Everyone, I'm a long time lurker, new poster.

Love the great advice that goes around here but I'm stuck in a bubble and figured I could use some.

I've done quite a bit of searching and can't seem the find my answer.

Scenario:
My basement is 12feet high
I just waterproofed it all (from the exterior) and included an additional sump pump so water is not an issue anymore.
I removed all of the interior walls and changed all of the framing, it's basically a clean slate with ONE exception- this brings me to my issue.

I currently have really fugly, big and grosse mexican tiles. I would like to put some hardwood over them. I have no issues with height, I can increase the floor by 3 feet if I really want to. These mexican tiles are SUPER strong, they do not break easily, I've been drilling into them and using tapcons for all the interior framing and it's not an easy task. Under the tiles there is about 4 inches of cement so lets just say the total depth with tile is about 7-8 inches.

I don't believe it's a good idea to put hardwood ontop of the tile (eventhough the floor is level with a few exceptions). I do think I need to put a subfloor. But I have no experience with it yet. Drycore looks very straight forward but will it work?

The entire basement is about 500 square feet. I need to put hardwood on about 430 square feet and tiles on 70 square feet (small kitchen area).

Any recommendations/advice is greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-13, 11:06 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! The only question I have is "how ya gonna nail through tile?" If the floor is smooth, not necessarily level, then you could possibly use an underlayment and a good quality 5/8" click lock engineered flooring. Have you looked into that? Pictures may help, too

Old 01-27-13, 11:39 AM
Would you use a plywood underlayment?

Here is a picture of the flooring.

I could always drill and screw the hardwood in place haha...

I've been reading a little about the engineered hardwood, looks like it's very easy to work with but a little more costly.

Old 01-27-13, 12:26 PM
I could always drill and screw the hardwood in place
I may not be around that long With what you have, I would suggest the engineered flooring. Even if you put down plywood, the cleats will probably protrude below it and cause problems between it and the tile floor, making the hardwood unstable.

Engineered flooring goes down fast, too, so figure your labor into the equation. The last one we did, the two guys I had laying it nearly wore out the cut guy. As fast as he would give them an end cut, they had the line laid and started the next line with the waste piece. They were working 4 lines at a time. I'd seriously consider it.

Old 01-27-13, 01:04 PM
Would you put underlayment with the engineered flooring or throw the glue right on these bad boys?

Old 01-27-13, 01:20 PM
You don't glue the click lock engineered flooring, so no mess. It is a floating floor. I like to use the red underlayment with white vermiculite type foam balls embedded on it. It acts as an air cushion and air way under the flooring. It's available at big orange. AirGuard 100 sq. ft., 3.34 ft. x 30 ft. X .25 in. thick, Premium 3-in-1 Underlayment for Laminate Floors-70-105 at The Home Depot

Old 01-28-13, 07:47 AM
You wouldn't put an underlayment, even though my floor has grooves in between each tile?

Thanks for the advice, I'm going to be using engineered floor, maybe a bamboo type.

Old 01-29-13, 04:22 AM
Yes, the underlayment mentioned in my last post. The tile grooves won't matter too much to the engineered flooring. Keep in mind I am talking about engineered flooring and not laminate, which is too thin to be placed over the tile, IMO.

Search this Thread