Installing Laminate flooring

Old 03-29-13, 04:18 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Installing Laminate flooring

I would like to install my Laminate this weekend. I have one problem. I have a 3 foot entryway entering into the dining room. I would like to do it all in laminate. Problem is the 3 foot entryway is flat and level then as you walk into the dining room it slopes downward. How to i go about leveling this part of the floor?

Old 03-29-13, 04:39 PM
S
Name:  IMG_0272 (800x600).jpg
Views: 1541
Size:  38.9 KBHere is a picture for the problem.

Attached Images  
Old 03-29-13, 04:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Correcting the basic foundation problem that is causing the dip in the floor would be the best way of doing it. Personally if I had the floor, I would opt to finish what you have. Laminate is merely a picture of wood on an MDF base, lacking certain quality, IMO. I think your existing floors have character.

Old 03-29-13, 05:00 PM
A
Received 73 Upvotes on 66 Posts
Ditto! Particularly if that slope is the result of compromises in the structure, which I assume is the case, and not by design, you will be much more pleased with the duration of what you have as compared to anything that you would place over it, not to mention the character that it provides. If you do wish to proceed as planned though, you need to start at the bottom, whether the foundation, joists, slab, or whatever, and work your way up, so need to provide some details of what is under that floor.

Old 03-29-13, 05:19 PM
R
Received 67 Upvotes on 52 Posts
+1 on the refinishing of the existing floor. As I understand Laminate doesn't care if the floor is level as long as it is flat. I have some Laminate in part of my house and I hate it and will be putting carpet back is very soon. Trust me it is NOT durable whatsoever!

Old 03-30-13, 08:14 AM
S
Thanks for all the responses. I would love to redo the original wood buy it is stained with pet urine and there is a good section of it that is just pure black. I guess I will just put a piece of carpeting in that 3 ft spot that I have leftover from just doing the living room and laminate the rest. Probably is no way I would be able to flatten this out.

Old 03-30-13, 08:33 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
If you could correct the dip from underneath the floor, my opinion would be to put in a 3x3 section of ceramic tile in front of the door. Remove enough flooring to allow you to set the tile at floor grade. I do it often for clients who have experienced water problems at doorways, whether it be a pet waiting to be let outside, or drippy umbrellas, etc.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: