Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

partical board sub floor squeaking

IL

02-04-13, 06:53 AM   #1  
partical board sub floor squeaking

just bought a house and am redoing the office first. All the floors in the house squeak badly. I tore up the carpet to find 1/2" partical board on top of 1/2" ply. I tried putting some screw in to stop the squeaks but it is not working. I am going to tear out the partical board. Here comes the questions..
1. Should I use regular 1/2" ply or should I get 1/2" tongue and groove to replace the partical board?
2. Would OSB be just as effective?
3. Would it help to put a layer of tar paper between the layers of subfloor?
4. Would you glue the layers together?

I just want a solid floor that doesnt squeak.. Any advise is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Djsrcy

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

02-04-13, 09:44 AM   #2  
What are you planning for a final floor covering? Hardwood, carpet, tile??? I would tear out the particle board, then screw the 1/2" down to the joists using 1 1/2" decking screws. I would follow this with 3/4" Advantech subflooring. It is an OSB type product with moisture control built in and it is T&G....made for flooring. Apply this layer using screws, but NOT through to the joists. You will want to avoid single attachment points for both layers, as there is a "slip" factor involved. Don't put tar paper between the layers as it will cause moisture problems and not let the layers breathe. If you install hardwood, then tar paper on top just under the hardwood. Using a good subflooring glue such as PL will aid in keeping the layers together.

Group Moderator

WI

02-04-13, 10:08 AM   #3  
Just one addition to what Chandler said (and you probably thought of this anyway) is that I would make sure there are no squeaks after screwing down the existing plywood before putting anything on top. Sometimes there are multiple reasons for the squeaks that mean additional work to figure out and resolve.

IL

02-04-13, 10:09 AM   #4  
I am going with a floating floor. I was set on stranded bamboo but laminate has come a long way. It is going to be in a room that opens up to a pool deck and we also have a 100lb dog. I need something strong. Anyways....
So I will get the T&G product you recommend and if I understand you correctly, I am going to glue and screw the Advantech to the existing 1/2" ply.
Just dont screw to the joists. That is the opposite of what I would have done by the way. In wanting to avoid squeaks, I would have put 3" screws into the joists. What is the benefit?

IL

02-04-13, 10:13 AM   #5  
Mitch,
I thought of this and that would be terrible. What is the best fix for that? If the first layer squeaks by itself, do I cut it out and glue down new floor? The joists below this particular room are not accessible. Its above a finished part of the basement.

Group Moderator

WI

02-04-13, 10:32 AM   #6  
It's all going to depend on why the floor squeaks. I would start by seeing what happens when you screw the existing plywood into place. If that doesn't stop all the squeaks, you'd have to investigate the remaining ones individually. Could be something wrong with the structure under the plywood.

One thing I just thought of is I like to try to compress the plywood to the structure when I'm inserting screws like this by making sure my weight is over the area - I don't put the screws in arm's length away from my body. Depending on the situation, sometimes you can be standing and driving screws between your feet. More often, I'm on my knees driving the screws between them.

IL

02-05-13, 08:01 AM   #7  
So what is the reasoning for NOT screwing the top layer of subfloor to the joists?

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

02-05-13, 02:22 PM   #8  
See post #2. There is somewhat of a "slip" factor between the sheets of subflooring. Having them both tied to the joists can cause problems of one expanding or contracting and the other not, then it telegraphs to the floor above. Having the slip allows each sheet to do it's thing independently.

Search this Thread