underlayment for cork flooring?

Old 02-04-13, 06:18 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
underlayment for cork flooring?

I'm going to be putting down the click and lock cork flooring in a finished basement and I'm unsure whether I need some type of underlayment. It's my understanding the underlayment acts as a moisture barrier. However, the concrete floor has radiant heating in it, with 2" of foam board beneath the concrete. I would think an underlayment for the cork flooring would not be necessary. Thoughts?

Old 02-05-13, 12:05 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
What does the cork manufacturer have to say?

Old 02-05-13, 12:58 PM
W
I have not contacted the manufacturer, as the flooring is at Home Depot. I can look into it, would rather not go on HD's word alone though, I'll see if I can find the manufacturer. I thought it would be a simple answer.

Old 02-05-13, 01:02 PM
S
Group Moderator
It might be a simple answer but I tend to defer to whatever the manufacturer suggests and that can vary.

Someone like Chandler might be along in a few minutes with a good answer off the top of their head.

Old 02-05-13, 01:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I'll just have repeat what Mitch said. Not because the answer is simple, but because you have a warranty to worry about, not only for the flooring, but the heat as well. Wrong underlayment, no warranty. The manufacturer will be the best source of information on that subject.

But let us know what they say, as it can help us understand their criteria as well as help others on the forum.

Old 02-08-13, 10:20 AM
W
I found my answer from the manufacturer. You guys asked for an update if I was to hear back from them, so here is what they said:

"Underlayment is not necessary with our cork floors, but you will need to install 6mil polyethylene sheeting over the slab as a vapor barrier. The integrated cork backing will perform as the underlay."

Note, that refers to the Millstead plank cork flooring carried at Home Depot.

hope that helps someone

Old 02-08-13, 10:34 AM
S
Group Moderator
Cool, thanks for the update.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: