expansion

Old 02-05-13, 09:16 AM
expansion

ive installed several laminate floors, always leaving the reccomended expansion space at the edges. recently i was doing some work at my mother in laws home, and noticed the guy that remodeled her kitchen took the easy way out, and butted the floor right up to the baseboard. it looks great, and she hasn't had any problems, and its been down for 4-5 years now. what gives? how much does this stuff expand?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-13, 10:35 AM
It all depends on the humidity levels and the type of wood in the floor.

Although I'm dealing with 75yrs old hardwood, I can see it contract in the winter to the point I have large gaps. Summer, it's perfect with no visable gaps. That being said, I'm dealing with very low humidity in the winter, and no A/C in the summer which means higher humitity.

Old 02-05-13, 02:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If your house retains the same humidity (within limits) year round, then there should be no practical expansion or contraction of the wood, again, provided it was acclimated. Now, change that humidity drastically and hold on. For instance, vacation homes that are buttoned up for the winter with minimal heat on, then you come in sometime in June and open it up to the fresh air for a few months.........gotcha.