My hardwood floor is out of square! Help!

Old 02-09-13, 02:56 PM
My hardwood floor is out of square! Help!

My longest run is a 17' hallway that runs into an 11' bedroom. I had an installer help me, and we chalked a line down the middle of the hallway, tried to reference off it, and starting installing from the far end of living room, which you would enter if you turn off the front of the driveway.

Once we got to the hallway, I'm realizing that over this 28' hallway + bdrm length, I'm out of square 3.5" from one end to the other. I haven't done the hallway or bedroom yet. Is there anything I can do about this? How noticeable will it be if I install 3.5" out of square?

3.5" ends up being 1.5" along the hallway way, 1.5" over the the bedroom, and 0.5" at the beginning of the hallway which is mostly open to the living room.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-13, 03:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It's going to be noticeable. There's not much you can do at this point but punt. Were you planning on running the flooring all the same direction? Change directions in the bedroom at the end of the hallway.

Old 02-09-13, 03:59 PM
Group Moderator
If you want all the flooring to run in the same direction, you could also find a place (like at the doorway and at the start of the hallway) where you could butt the boards into a transition board running perpendicular to the flooring. This would allow you to treat all 3 areas separately.

Is there any chance that the reference line was off?