Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Painting chipboard flooring!!!

Non-US

02-14-13, 12:49 PM   #1  
Painting chipboard flooring!!!

Ive just ripped up the carpet and have the chipboard floor exposed. I would like to paint it White. Can anyone help me with advice as to what sort of prep and paint that I have to use for this. Its a living room and so it has to be hardwearing.

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

WI

02-14-13, 12:53 PM   #2  
Welcome to the forums.

I think of chipboard (OSB here) and floor paint both as not hardwearing. What are your actual expectations?

Personally, I also do not think this would look good and white will not likely stay white so I would not do this.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

02-14-13, 01:09 PM   #3  
Put a capital "U" on ugly and it says it all. OSB of itself is not a finished product, meant only for underlayment. Paint won't help. Someone mentioned in another thread, like putting perfume on a pig.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

02-14-13, 03:04 PM   #4  
If I had to paint an OSB floor and call it finished - it sure wouldn't be white! Several coats of a med/dark color would look best. Traffic and moving furniture around can cause some of the chips to come loose so plan on touch up and frequent repaints

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Forum Topic Moderator

MO

02-14-13, 03:20 PM   #5  
The moisture from the paint will most likely cause some swelling of the chips and will be rough on the feet.

Group Moderator

NE

02-14-13, 08:07 PM   #6  
I totally agree with the others that this is a very bad idea.

Having said that, the best paint to use would be a porch floor enamel, preferably oil based. Even if you use it you will still have the problems the others have warned you about.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

02-15-13, 04:51 AM   #7  
the best paint to use would be a porch floor enamel, preferably oil based
I thought I had mentioned that but re reading my post I guess I didn't
Oil base floor enamel will wear better than it's latex counterpart although other than some of the chips bleeding [tannins] thru a light colored latex, I doubt it will make much difference on an OSB floor. Did someone say something about a pig with lipstick?

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Group Moderator

NE

02-15-13, 05:51 AM   #8  
pig with lipstick / like painting a corn cob. Oil primer first... then the oil porch floor enamel. I forgot to mention that too, although it should be a given.

Search this Thread