Recovering Bare Hardwood Floor after Fire

Old 02-21-13, 08:25 AM
Recovering Bare Hardwood Floor after Fire

I spent a week sanding about 2000 sqft of hardwood flooring down to the bare wood for staining/refinishing. This is 110 yr old very hard red oak flooring. I got about half of it stained, when I had a fire in a different part of the house (kitchen).

The only damage to the area with the stripped hardwood flooring was heavy smoke damage on the walls/ceiling, but then also heavy foot traffic from 15 firefighters / hoses / smoke / suit / debris / etc.

All that has been done to this point is the house is boarded up while I work out details with insurance.

My question is, what should my game plan be to preserve and clean the floors? I'm afraid if I deal with the smoke damage first, the floors will further deteriorate. It seems I should finish the flooring before dealing with the smoke damange.

And what should I do to clean the wood flooring to make it suitable to complete staining and then topcoat? Would you think I should I expect to be able to wash it down, or will I need to sand it again? If washing might be my best option - how would I do that? Using water would raise the grain on the flooring. Should I use water but then expect to have to give it a light sanding again to make it decent?

Any thoughts / tips / suggestions for my situation?

Thanks all...

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-13, 09:08 AM
Group Moderator
Ugh. Raw wood isn't good. What does the floor look like - have you suffered and damage or discoloration thus far? My first thought is to strip the stain you put down, re-sand and start over but maybe someone else will have a suggestion that isn't as much work.

Old 02-21-13, 02:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'd be inclined to get all the work done, then resand the floors and go thru the finishing process. How many times has the floor been sanded, do you have enough wood left to handle sanding it again. If not, that might be something else to work out with your insurance.