Installing Mini-Bar on Laminate Floor?

Old 02-23-13, 09:59 AM
Installing Mini-Bar on Laminate Floor?

I am installing a mini-bar in a lower level of a split-foyer residence. The lower level is half way underground, but has windows and is not unusually humid. The floor is click-on laminate on top of concrete slab, separated by a vapor barrier.
[HR][/HR]
We are installing a 4 cabinet mini-bar next to a wall. The cabinets are pretty light and have good support on the wall behind them. However, they will support granite on top. Should I:
  1. Install the cabinets on top of the existing Laminate floor;
  2. Remove the laminate and install the cabinets on the vapor barrier. Then, reinstall the laminate flush against the base of the cabinet;
  3. Remove the laminate, install tiles right under where the cabinet (24x87) will rest, install cabinets on the tiles, and then flush laminate next to the cabinet;
  4. Or another idea you can think of?[HR][/HR]
While the minibar (24"x87") covers a small area, the room is something like (200x190). So, I will need to remove/reinstall a lot of laminate flooring (200"x87"), if I have to follow options 2 or 3. I am just wondering if there is a good / quality way of cutting the laminate right on the floor, without having to remove the entire section of the floor. Thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-13, 10:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would remove and set the cabinets on the vapor barrier so that wood is not in direct contact with cement. A skill saw set to the correct depth can cut the footprint of the cabinets out of the existing floor without the need to pull the floor apart. Reciprocating saw (or oscillating saw) will finish the area close to the wall. Allow appropriate expansion gaps to the toe kick of the cabinet and cover with shoe molding.

Search this Thread