Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Engineered Hardwood Problems

VA

02-24-13, 06:13 AM   #1  
Engineered Hardwood Problems

I had hardwood installed last June and currently fighting with the owner of the store and his installers trying to get the floor reinstalled. Basically after they finished the installation I noticed tenting and dipping. It looks like a wave when you look down the hallway. I had an inspector come and look at it and he wrote a lengthy report and pictures of the floor. Basically the concrete is not level. The owner of the store put the floor down without even telling us that was a problem. After I sent the inspector report to him, he said he would fix the parts that were bad and that was all. I feel that is unsatisfactory. The inspector said the whole floor will have to be pulled up, leveled and reinstalled. I have filed a consumer affairs complaint. I would just like to have some other expert opinions about this situation and if anyone else has had the same problem.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

02-24-13, 06:20 AM   #2  
Welcome to the forums Linda!

It's hard to say if a patch job would be sufficient since we aren't there to inspect the floor. I don't know much about hardwood installs over concrete other than it can be done properly - or not I'm pretty sure there is a membrane specific to concrete floor installation that has to be used. There are members here that are a lot more knowledgeable than me and I'm sure they will chime in later.

The more documentation you have the better if it winds up going to small claims court.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Forum Topic Moderator

VA

02-24-13, 07:36 AM   #3  
The unlevel concrete should have been noted during the estimate and/or install process, but sometimes things are overlooked. Eitherway, you would have had to address the uneven subfloor and pay to have it leveled as part of the install. The contractor had agreed to correct the unlevel parts of the floor. If he can do this without pulling up the whole floor I think you should give him the opportunity. Just because the inspector says that the whole floor needs to come up, does not mean it to be so. I would give the contractor a chance to right the situation and protect his reputation before elevating it to lawsuit level. It will be cheaper for both of you in the long term.

Group Moderator

WI

02-25-13, 06:07 AM   #4  
I second czizzi's suggestion, let the contractor give it a shot but I would discuss with him ahead of time that you have the report saying the whole thing needs to be pulled up and get him to agree to this on the chance he cannot level it with his method.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

02-25-13, 02:02 PM   #5  
Curious as to who this "inspector" was. Was it from the flooring manufacturer?

Search this Thread