Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Quiet Underlay For 2nd Floor - Rubber or Other?

NV

02-24-13, 01:21 PM   #1  
Quiet Underlay For 2nd Floor - Rubber or Other?

I'm laying some laminate as well as some bamboo on an OSB subfloor upstairs. I don't want to waste money on unneeded moisture barriers, but if I end up with a 3-in-1 that works at the right price, that's fine. Sound deadening is very important ... after removing old carpet and pad, it's amazing how loud it is from downstairs! I looked at a foam/foil/felt product at Lowes, about $.50/s.f. The store rep said he can order a rubber underlay for $.39/s.f. that has the best sound absorption qualities, in his opinion. Now I see that I can get pretty much the same 3-in-1 Lowes has for about $.40/s.f delivered, on-line. I know cork might be better, but it looks like $1.00/s.f. and up; way out of budget. So in that .40 or less price range, any opinions on a specific product or just a general material type that will serve me best? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

WI

02-25-13, 06:03 AM   #2  
What does the manufacturer of your laminate suggest? You have warranty issues which come into play.

Search this Thread