Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Covering an Expansion Gap around Pipes

03-08-13, 09:15 AM   #1  
Covering an Expansion Gap around Pipes

We recently put new Pergo Max flooring in our laundry room. The main water drain pipe runs from ceiling thru floor, so we had to carefully cut the planks to allow for the 3/8 inch expansion gap around the pipe. We purchased flexible 1/2 inch cove molding to install around and cover up the expansion gap, however it's not working. It won't lay flat and just isn't flexible enough to lay flat against the 6 inch pipe. Any suggestions for finishing it would be GREATLY appreciated!! Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

03-08-13, 09:17 AM   #2  
Welcome to the forums Amy!

A pic or two might help us better understand what needs to be done - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

03-08-13, 12:01 PM   #3  
file://localhost/Users/kd7naz/Desktop/photo copy.JPG

Hope this pic will load.

03-08-13, 12:05 PM   #4  
[img]file://localhost/Users/kd7naz/Desktop/photo copy.JPG[/img]

Attached Images

03-08-13, 12:09 PM   #5  
Sorry the pic isn't rotated, but you get the idea. I have this gap at the base of the pipe. This cove moulding just isn't going to work. Any ideas?

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

03-08-13, 01:50 PM   #6  
I think I'd take a 1x that is an 1" or so wider than the base of the pipe and either use a hole saw or jig saw to cut out the circle. You'll have to cut it twice, once on the inside and then again about 3/4" of an inch along the outside. Maybe use a router along the outside edge to make it look nice. Sand, stain and poly to match the floor, cut it in half and then tack or glue each half around the base of the pipe.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

IL

03-09-13, 11:18 AM   #7  
I had a arched, wooden screen door where the original screen bead was in about twenty broken, rotted pieces. To replace it, I used straight PVC screen bead, carefully heated it with a heat gun set on low, and bent it to conform to the arc of the screen opening. I bet that would work for you. I don't know if it would work with your flexible cove, but I bet a piece of rigid PVC cove would work.

P.S. Is that 6" drain pipe copper for its whole run? If it is, I can only guess what that would cost today. Looks good though.

Search this Thread