Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Glue-Down Install: Getting Glue Under the Tongue. How do You Stop for the Day?

PA

03-13-13, 06:55 PM   #1  
Glue-Down Install: Getting Glue Under the Tongue. How do You Stop for the Day?

Today was my first day of attempting a glue-down installation of my floors. When it came time to stop for the day there was still a row of adhesive on the floor, but not enough to fit another row of planks. I used the trowel to scrape the adhesive off of the floor as best I could, but I'm pretty sure there is adhesive on the underside of the tongues of the last laid row. And, if this is the case, that'll mean that they won't fit into the next row's groove.

First, would it be a better idea to use a utility knife to cut off the adhesive from the tongues of the last row, or to cut the bottom groove edges from the next row of planks?

I'd really like to avoid this problem in the future and I've never seen it discussed in how-to videos, but how do the pros handle stopping a glue-down installation for the day? Do they simply trowel the adhesive the exact width of the boards, or just slightly less to ensure it doesn't ooze out and up when the board is pressed into place?

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NE

03-13-13, 07:16 PM   #2  
Cut yourself a short 3-4" scrap of flooring and use it as a scraper to slide down the row. If you do this before the glue sets up you should be able to remove most of the glue so that it won't cause a problem the next day.

And generally you just don't glue more than what you will cover. A thin 4" putty knife held at the right angle will scrape off most of the excess glue if you put down a little too much. Just scrape the floor clean holding the putty knife at an angle. Do a few feet at a time and scrape the knife into the trash, and repeat. Then follow up by sliding the scrap down the tongue to make sure you didn't miss anything on the bottom of the tongue.

PA

03-13-13, 07:56 PM   #3  
Using a scrap piece as a scraper is genius! Thanks, XSleeper!

Group Moderator

NE

03-13-13, 08:00 PM   #4  
ha ha, that's why I get paid the big bucks... NOT! LOL

Search this Thread