Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Replacing missing hardwood floor

WI

03-16-13, 05:29 PM   #1  
Replacing missing hardwood floor

I would like to remove my carpet, which now covers original hardwood floor (not sure what shape the wood is in). It looks like 1.5" original hardwood maple throughout the house (its exposed in one bedroom where carpet was not installed). On some investigation peeling back carpet, it looks like the previous owner removed or never installed the hardwood in a short hall about 12'X3.5'. I have been searching on Craigs and online for some similar reclaimed hardwood to match, but so far no luck (it's mostly 2.5" or wider what I am finding). Any recommendations on finding enough to match the existing flooring (it kind of has an orangy color to it, but sanded down and finished, it should look pretty nice). Probably need only about 40-50 sq ft. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

03-16-13, 05:50 PM   #2  
1.5" or 2.5"?? I doubt we will be your source for your flooring, but if you were to post a few pictures of it, we may can narrow down the type wood and maybe the color stain. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

WI

03-16-13, 09:02 PM   #3  
The wood is 1.5" wide. Here are two pics. One pic is from a bedroom that did not have carpet. The other is the original unfinished wood beneath a pullout drawer in a custom closet. My guess is maple. Where can i find a similar product to put in a hall that is missing the home's original hardwood. looks like some yellow linoleum under the hall carpet right now.

I think I would like to sand it down and use some kind of clearcoat (i.e. not orange).

Here is a try at adding pics....

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

03-17-13, 04:40 AM   #4  
Pix are great, thanks. I believe, since you have two different species of wood and widths, if you found a close match and changed directions of the flow down the hallway, you would be ahead of the game. Finding an exact match of either may be daunting. Most flooring stores can furnish samples of the wood, and you can lay them out on both sections to see which would give a better transition. The narrow looks to be a maple, but I am just not too sure on the wider ones.

WI

03-17-13, 06:34 AM   #5  
Thanks...I had same idea on changing direction on the wood down the hallway...All of the wood in the house is 1.5" maple boards. The second pic just shows how the original boards looked (because they were hidden under a pullout drawer in a closet). Thought that might help with the identification process....I am waiting for things to warm up here before starting the project...whole house needs flooring, but am planning on the wood floors in living room/bedrooms first...

Search this Thread