best flooring material for semi below grade floor?

Old 03-17-13, 10:19 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
best flooring material for semi below grade floor?

Have a basement concrete slab floor, two sides of floor below grade. Currently carpeted with glued down ugly orange indoor/outdoor carpet. Have never had any moisture problems. After I remove the carpet, what would be the best choice for a new floor? Wood, laminate, engineered or even tile? Any pitfalls I should look for?

Thanks

Old 03-17-13, 10:33 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Sounds like a walk out basement. Is it fully a conditioned space, or a traditional basement? I would pull back a corner of the carpet and tape down a garbage bag to the floor and wait a few days. Remove the bag and see if there is any moisture that collected. The concrete will be a darker shade if moisture is present. Indoor/outdoor carpet doesn't hole water like traditional carpet. Just want to make sure you are totally dry.

Old 03-17-13, 04:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Once your testing is done, then you can logically decide which to use. Tile is the first choice where there is even a hint of moisture. Nothing to nail wood flooring to. Laminate is MDF with a picture of wood on it and will die at the first hint of water, leaving a good quality of engineered flooring, at least 1/2" thick in click lock.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: