Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

best flooring material for semi below grade floor?

IA

03-17-13, 09:19 AM   #1  
best flooring material for semi below grade floor?

Have a basement concrete slab floor, two sides of floor below grade. Currently carpeted with glued down ugly orange indoor/outdoor carpet. Have never had any moisture problems. After I remove the carpet, what would be the best choice for a new floor? Wood, laminate, engineered or even tile? Any pitfalls I should look for?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

VA

03-17-13, 09:33 AM   #2  
Sounds like a walk out basement. Is it fully a conditioned space, or a traditional basement? I would pull back a corner of the carpet and tape down a garbage bag to the floor and wait a few days. Remove the bag and see if there is any moisture that collected. The concrete will be a darker shade if moisture is present. Indoor/outdoor carpet doesn't hole water like traditional carpet. Just want to make sure you are totally dry.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

03-17-13, 03:05 PM   #3  
Once your testing is done, then you can logically decide which to use. Tile is the first choice where there is even a hint of moisture. Nothing to nail wood flooring to. Laminate is MDF with a picture of wood on it and will die at the first hint of water, leaving a good quality of engineered flooring, at least 1/2" thick in click lock.

Search this Thread