Laminate Not Locking Together - Different Acclimation Times?

Old 03-18-13, 07:54 AM
Laminate Not Locking Together - Different Acclimation Times?

Hello,

I had a pro installer give me a quote and material list, I got the material from Lumber Liquidators but we came up 2 boxes short. I went back to get more and now the new stuff won't fit with the old stuff. The original sat in the house for about 2 weeks and the new stuff only 2-3 days. I'm thinking that must be the issue and hoping that in a few more days it will fit. (Temps did drop the past couple days) But I did call LL and the guy said he has never heard of that and the acclimation time shouldn't effect it locking together.

Anyone heard of an issue like this? Not sure what I will do if it never fits... Maybe put a transition in the hallway and do the living room separate but that is kind of amateurish. Also don't know how much of a fight it will be with the installer (through LL) to replace the material. I told my wife we should have done it ourselves since we did it ourselves for a rental but considering this is "our" house my wife just wanted to hire someone.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-13, 08:01 AM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

I'm confused you say installer but also talk like you're doing this yourself. Which is it?

Old 03-18-13, 08:55 AM
Sorry for the confusion... it is an installer through lumber liquidators like I mentioned but we bought the materials ourselves from a list the installer gave us.

Old 03-18-13, 09:01 AM
Group Moderator
Installer gave you the list, sounds like this is his problem. What does he have to say?

Old 03-18-13, 09:53 AM
He says to give it a few more days to acclimate to see if that helps which I am fine with but I asked him what happens if it never fits and he said, "lets hope it doesn't come to that."

Just wondering if anyone has ever heard of it not fitting like that if they are the same material and serial number but bought about a month apart.

If it never fits together, you can bet I will raise hell with the installer but I would hate to have to rip up the whole house again after it is all back together except for 20 square feet.

Old 03-18-13, 09:55 AM
Group Moderator
I've never used laminate so my experience is limited but I've never heard of this either. Maybe some of the pros have, hang tight and wait for them to get done working

Old 03-18-13, 10:05 AM
My next door neighbour had his entire main floor done last year. About a month later I was over there doing some painting. He was proudly showing me the flooring job. I made the mistake to kneel down and look down the length of it down a hallway. Self editing must have been turned off and I commented "Huh, wonder why some of the boards have a different sheen to them?"

Various random boards had a slightly glossier finish. Not many, but enough that it drove him crazy once he knew about it. Installers came back, and couldn't figure it out. It couldn't have just been one box of wood that was different as it was in different locations. At the end of the day they decided that they got a bad run from the manufacturer, offered to pull it all back up or give him some money back.

He eventually took the money and tried not to look at it in direct sunlight... Ever again.

Old 03-18-13, 11:26 AM
If it never fits together, you can bet I will raise hell with the installer but I would hate to have to rip up the whole house again after it is all back together except for 20 square feet.
Even if it doesn't fit, wouldn't you just have to spend some time getting the first row to work well with the last row of your old flooring? Surely the new stuff works with itself.

I realize that "solution" involves a lot of assumptions on my part as to appearance/layout/desires. If it cannot work and you are, in fact, able to separate rooms, I'd go for a whole new species instead of "something similar but just 'off'" or ripping up the floor.

Old 03-18-13, 11:46 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Have you checked every number on the new boxes versus the old boxes? Are they the same lot numbers? One day's wear on the machinery bits can cause aberrations in the way they go together. That's why they are called "lots". If it is a different lot, they may never go together.

Old 03-18-13, 04:32 PM
Well it seems even though the reciepts show the same item numbers the boxes they gave me were of the old discontinued product. They agreed to exchange them for the newer one which I need even though I had opened 2 of the 3. Thanks everyone for your replies.

Old 03-19-13, 03:37 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
That's cool. Keep us informed as to how the new stuff goes down. Always a good thing to check dye lots on carpet, tile, wood flooring, etc.