1/4 osb

Old 03-27-13, 06:52 AM
1/4 osb

Hello
New to this. In fact never done this.
My question is this.
I am installing laminate flooring in my downstairs. Right now I have vinyl in the kitchen, dining room,ect. There is luan under the vinyl floor. I need to “build up ” the area that has carpet. The difference is ¼”.i want to use ¼ osb to make the two surfaces level with each other. I am using 7mm thick laminate flooring with 7mm felt underlayment
My question is osb suitable for what I am doing?
Should I glue down, staple or nail?(I have a pneumatic nail gun)
What kind of nail or staple should I use?
Do I need floor level compound when the two will meet?
Help would greatly appreciated
Thanks
Todd

Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-13, 04:13 PM
For ease of use and reliability of dimensions, I would use 1/4" luan plywood rather than OSB. I like to use 1-1/4" drywall screws to attach the luan. As I recall, every 6 inches around the edges and 12 in the field of the sheet. Staples can be used, but I prefer screws.

Hope this helps,

Chris

Old 03-27-13, 04:38 PM
Group Moderator
I wouldn't use "luan" per say, but a 1/4" true plywood product, or one that is rated as "underlayment"... I'd that that is what you want. I'd stay away from the OSB if that's one of the underlayment choices simply because of the texture. And I'd stay away from luan because if its anything like the luan available around here, it's not really suitable as an underlayment because the plys can separate, causing a "cracking" sound under foot as the plys flex with the weight of your foot. Probably more of a problem on a subfloor that's already a little spongy.

Old 03-27-13, 04:45 PM
Group Moderator
I would also use the 1/4" luan plywood. I installed it using resin coated ring nails.
Since you are installing a rigid floor covering I wouldn't think you needed floor level compound unless there is a noticeable height difference at the joint.

Old 03-27-13, 04:47 PM
Group Moderator
When I was growing up you would use un-tempered hardboard. (what is generally called Masonite is tempered hardboard.) Not sure if they still do.

Old 03-28-13, 04:08 AM
Cool

thanks for the help
Greatly appreciated!!