Floating hardwood floors

Old 03-28-13, 08:14 AM
Floating hardwood floors

Want to install the hardwood flooring in living and dining area. Not nailing or glueing, will it get me into any problems later on. Just want to float it. The subfloor is wooden.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-13, 09:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
How do you expect the individual pieces to stay tightly together

Old 03-28-13, 10:24 AM
If you use engineered hardwood there are some very nice snap together products that can be floated. Insure you use a moisture barrier. The big box stores have a pad to put under it. I have it in my home in the liv rm din rm and kitchen. It still looks good after 7 years. Also remove shoe molding and leave a 1/4" space all around and install quarter round to cover space. nail to wall not floor.

Old 03-28-13, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator
Click together laminates or engineered hardwood can be floated...don't know how a true hardwood (tongue and groove) floor could be done that way.

Any manufacturer that offers such products will have instructions available. You need to visit a few flooring stores and see what they have to offer that meets your needs.

Old 03-28-13, 11:41 AM
Group Moderator
I would think this would only work with a tongue and groove product and if it didn't snap together, you'd have to glue the T&G.

Old 03-28-13, 07:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You can float engineered flooring that is normal tongue and groove by gluing the sections to each other. I think the OP believes glue version is the trowel and set in a glue bed method. You can also glue to each other and float. Usually use the thinner engineered 3/8" flooring and sound deadening/moisture barrier underneath. I would caution that the subfloor needs to be really level for any floating floor.

Pet Peeve, probably only because I'm a contractor, that I intend to finish out my career and retire peacefully knowing that I have never used 1/4 round on any flooring install. If I can't do it with shoe molding I don't do it at all. 1/4 round looks chunky and screams sloppy install....Ugh, glad I got that out.:NO NO NO:

Old 03-29-13, 03:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I know what you are saying. While I'm more on the painting end and rarely do the installing, I've always though that quarter round looks like a cover up - shoe mold is a lot nicer looking

Old 03-29-13, 08:51 AM
Thanks Gentlemen for the answers. So for the hardwood that snaps together well and tight I still need either nail or glue. Which is the good glue brand for hardwood. Is it true that once glued, it is very hard to take the hardwood out? I want to avoid the nail gun and compression dealing around with. I have help so gluing is the way to go.

Old 03-29-13, 08:58 AM
Group Moderator
Titebond II is my choice of glue for wood which will typically not be exposed to moisture.

Old 03-29-13, 09:01 AM
so when using glue do i still need the underlayment against moisture.

Old 03-29-13, 10:24 AM
Group Moderator
Yes, that does not change.