Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

What do I do if the floor dips over an inch towards a doorway?

Non-US

03-29-13, 12:05 PM   #1  
What do I do if the floor dips over an inch towards a doorway?

I've attached a picture of my problem. It's a small bedroom that I was hoping to laminate until I removed all the old carpeting and saw how badly the floor dipped in one entire section towards a hallway. I'm really not sure what I would do to fix it as adding door skins or shingles would mean a ledge at the entrance to the hallway. Is re-carpeting the only solution?

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

WI

03-29-13, 12:23 PM   #2  
Welcome to the forums. Looks like a high spot in the middle as opposed to a low spot by the door, any idea what's causing that rise?

Group Moderator

TX

03-29-13, 12:26 PM   #3  
You could probably float it out. First though I would want to check the joists out to see why there is a dip. If it wasn't fixable I'd sister new joists on to the existing joists so they were level. Assuming the dip runs the direction of the joists flush with the original joists at the beginning of the dip and above the original joist at the other end. If the joists run perpendicular to the dip you could just shim up the top of each joist but just sistering joists at the exact height needed might be easier the ripping shims the correct thickness.

Edit: If Mitch is correct my ideas may not work. I would still want to pull up some of the floor to see what as going on.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Non-US

03-29-13, 12:30 PM   #4  
Not really unless I rip up the subfloor. The picture may be a bit deceiving as well. The rest of the floor is quite level (not perfectly), but at the seam of one of the boards it seems to drop down steadily. I've attached another picture which may help.

Attached Images

Group Moderator

TX

03-29-13, 12:34 PM   #5  
I'd pull that sheet of OSB up and see what was going on.

Note: My previous post has been changed slightly.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Non-US

03-29-13, 12:38 PM   #6  
That's probably the right way to go, although I'll be the first to admit that I'm a novice in this type of work.

Thanks all.

Non-US

04-03-13, 12:10 PM   #7  
Sorry to trouble you, but I've had two contractors take a look at the pictures and they both suggested:

".. remove the plywood at the highest point and sand down the Joists to bring the floor as level as possible before laminating."

Since the joists would only support the floor and not the walls, does this sound feasible?

Group Moderator

WI

04-03-13, 12:34 PM   #8  
Removing the plywood to inspect the joists would be in order, not sure about sanding them.

Non-US

04-03-13, 01:26 PM   #9  
It would only be because there seems to be a structural imbalance - one side of the room is higher than the other. They suggest I remove the OSB (not plywood) and try levelling the joists through sanding.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

04-03-13, 01:30 PM   #10  
Assuming the floor was level when the construction of the house took place, something has happened. All the sanding in the world won't correct what has happened. You need to address why the floor rose, or the walls fell. You have a high spot, and it has probably affected door closings along this area as well. Do you have any access to the area below this room?

Non-US

04-03-13, 01:56 PM   #11  
Below the room is a living room. Everything else is fine, i.e., all doors close normally, all floors are level. Even this room appeared completely level. It was only when I removed the cheap shag carpeting did I see the imbalance.

Group Moderator

WI

04-03-13, 01:56 PM   #12  
So the floor is bowed but the ceiling of the room below is not?

Non-US

04-03-13, 02:14 PM   #13  
That is correct. I just thought that sanding the joists wouldn't be a major issue since they're only supporting the floor on top.

Search this Thread