PreFinished Floor

Old 03-29-13, 12:06 PM
PreFinished Floor

So I'm about to rip up my rug and have the hardwood floor guys come in and install some flooring. I'm literally torn between the prefinished and the regular hardwood. I'm leaning more towards the prefinished just due to ease, less mess, and I just found out my wife is about 6 weeks pregnant.

I have looked at pictures online and actually like the way the prefinished wood looks. I have read some horror stories online about it and just want to make sure I am making the right choice.

Please share your experience with prefinished red oak. This will be installed in 2 bedrooms, 2 closests and a hallway.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-13, 12:24 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

Probably opinions both ways but I'd be willing to bet the majority will say pre-finished is the way to go.

Old 03-29-13, 12:55 PM
I should also add that both of my bedrooms have a little bit of a sag that's lowest in the middle of the rooms; would the prefinished wood show this sag more compared to the unfinished wood?

Thanks in advance

Old 03-29-13, 01:01 PM
Group Moderator
I would fix the sag first regardless of the flooring type. Do you know why it sags?

Old 03-29-13, 01:12 PM
It's a townhouse on a street of other townhouses so my neighbors have said they believe the floor joists are under sized and the sagging and wall cracking is happening on the whole street. Have to love how they just toss up these townhouses.

However, my contractor is coming by once I rip up the rug and is going to look under the plywood to see what it looks like.

Is it possible to fix the sag/sister the joists from top down? I really didn't want to open up the ceilings underneath and have to deal with replastering, etc.

Thanks

Old 03-30-13, 05:19 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Unfinished flooring that is sanded and finished on site gives the slickest looking job BUT it's best to use prefinished if the house is lived in! An added bonus is the prefinished wood has a tougher finish than what can be applied on site. The prefinished flooring has a slight beveled edge where each board comes together. That helps to eliminate being to see/feel any slight differences where 2 boards meet.

The cause of the dip will need to be determined before the fix can be figured out.

Old 03-30-13, 05:31 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
No one has mentioned it, yet, but a bathroom is the last place I would put a wood floor. Too much inadvertent water exposure. I have done it for clients, and so far, so good. But the potential is still there, and I would opt for an easier to clean floor like ceramic tile.

Old 04-03-13, 02:21 PM
So I'm about to rip up my rug and have the hardwood floor guys come in and install some flooring.

Way to DIY it

Old 04-05-13, 01:25 PM
I don't like engineered floors because of the bevels. Drives me crazy. That's me and I have the feeling I'm of the minority.

Search this Thread