Engineered Floors, Round Staircase question

Old 03-31-13, 07:58 PM
Engineered Floors, Round Staircase question

Hey guys, I am installing Engineered hardwoods in my house, glue down installation and was wondering if anyone has experience with running them around a rounded surface. I would like it to look as professional as possible! The carpet is staying, so the stairs will stay carpet. This is a picture of what I'm working with.. thanks in advance fellas

Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-13, 02:57 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Once you arrive at the curvature, set a compass to the measurement of the space left between the staircase and the next layer of laminate. Lay down and tape off a piece of laminate on top of the laminate you already laid, and against the curvature, and trace the curvature onto the laminate, keeping the compass vertical as you make your pass. It may take a few pieces to get it perfect, but once you get the cut done, you can work from that piece to both ends installing the remainder of that run.

I am sure there are other methods, so hang in there for the rest of the guys to comment.

Old 04-03-13, 02:16 PM
I'm with Chandler. Or, you could make a paper template and transfer the profile to the new pieces of flooring.

Old 04-03-13, 07:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Template is an even better idea. You can see if it fits before you set your saw to wood.

Old 04-03-13, 07:47 PM
Group Moderator
It will look best if the carpet on the riser could be removed, cut and then reinstalled over the floor. But not sure that's possible without ruining it.

Old 04-03-13, 10:25 PM
actually I'm thinking about just cutting that rounded part off... that's what I really want to do and make it square.. the rounded looks too "traditional" and dated to me! Don't know how big an undertaking that would be though