Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Can I use 1" styrofoam as a subfloor under a laminate floor without plywood?

CANADA

04-01-13, 03:24 PM   #1  
Can I use 1" styrofoam as a subfloor under a laminate floor without plywood?

Im renovating a slab on grade house. The area in question is soon to be 3 bedrooms and a hallway. Ceiling height isn't a issue but cost is. My goal is to clean it up and get a better insulation value. Currently the floor is 2x4's on edge with 5/8 ply on top, finished with a combo of carpet/laminate. Im considering leaving the subfloor in place (considering there isn't anything "wrong" with it), and laying 1" styrofoam and tuck taping it for the insulation value and then laying my laminate on top, and since the laminate floats anyway, jsut leaving it. There will be no major weight loads (like a pool table) besides a bed and typical bedroom furnature. Does anyone see a problem?

Sponsored Links

WA

04-01-13, 06:10 PM   #2  
Laminate flooring has almost zero structural strength. Laying it directly over any rigid foam insulation is a huge mistake in my opinion. Since height is not a concern I would strongly suggest that you use no less than 1/2 inch plywood between the insulation and the laminate. Personally I would use 3/4 inch Superply plywood.

http://www.roseburg.com/Product/superply/

Search this Thread