Need help with Subfloor.

Old 04-05-13, 12:16 PM
Need help with Subfloor.

I am adding a new floor to one of the rooms in my house. The current floor is 8 inch chestnut floor tongue and groove. It has many layers of old paint and as far as i can tell the floors are original to the house which dates back to 1830. Eventually i want to take the boards up and take them outside and run them through a planner and refinish them. But with my son on the way and the room is needed as a nursery thats currently not in the cards. The floor has cupped over the years. My plan is to run a floating laminate floor over the old floor in the opposite direction. The biggest dip from the boards cupping is about 1/4 of an inch. Should i put a think underlayment and they lay the laminate over it all running perpendicular to the old floor boards? this will spread the gaps out over the width of the laminate instead of the length. What other options do I have for fixing the chestnut floor. i don't want to nail anything to it or pour anything over it. Could I lay 1/4 plywood over the old floor and then lay the laminate on that?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-13, 01:17 PM
Couldn't you rent a sander and blast it with some 20 grit to eliminate cupping and remove the paint? Depending on how big the room is it won't take that long as 20grit on a drum sander loves to eat floor and will act much as a planar will in-situ. I have the feeling if you go and try to pull up that original flooring you're going to destroy some (a lot?) in the process. You're going to spend a small amount of coin putting crappy laminate over potentially really nice floors and if you don't want to nail into it... This is money and time that could be spent on a sander and finish materials, especially when you consider you're going to want to do this all in the future anyways.

Like I said it all depends on the room size but if it's a nursery it's not more than 100-300sq.ft and I think if you start on friday night sanding the edges, rent the drum first thing saturday and work up to 120-150grit you could have your first coat of poly on that evening or sunday morning'ish. ESPECIALLY if you have help with the edge sanding.

Have you tried a small section with a hand sander to see results?

Old 04-05-13, 01:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'd attack the floor with a sander before I'd attempt to remove it, make sure it's clear of nails, run it thru a planer and then reinstall..... even if you could do all that without damaging any of the wood.

While a drum sander is the most effective way to sand the floor, it does require a learning curve and you can damage the floor if not used correctly. A buffer with a sanding disk is more diy friendly, it's not as fast but you almost take away any risk of doing damage. An edger works best along the walls. I have sanded very small rms [foyer, closet, etc] with just an edger.