squeky floors

Old 04-08-13, 10:29 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
squeky floors

I just purchased a new house with some really squeky floors. I pulled the carpet out of the living room to find hardwood floors. The planks are about two inches wide. I was wondering if it would be ok to add additional nails through the hardwood floors. The hardwood appears to be placed on a subfloor. The subfloor, seen from the basement, is about 4-5" planks run diagnaly across the joist. I think they are pine.

Would it stop the squeking if I add nails through the hardwood into the subfloor? We are having carpet installed over the hardwood this week so seeing the nail heads wont be a problem.

Old 04-08-13, 11:22 AM
T
Is the house on pier-and-beam or full concrete slab construction? I think that might play a role in how to stop the squeak.

Old 04-08-13, 11:28 AM
R
I am not exactly sure what you mean there. It has a full basement. The floor and joist are visable from the basement. It isn't finished yet.

Old 04-08-13, 12:57 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Nails might help, do you plan on refinishing the hardwood?

Old 04-09-13, 02:18 AM
R
No, I won't be refinishing the hardwood. We are having carpet installed over it.

Old 04-09-13, 03:16 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Screws hold better than nails although it would complicate things if you or anyone else wants to refinish the hardwood later on.

Old 04-09-13, 06:18 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Some squeaks are caused by nails that "missed the mark". Go into the basement and have someone walk around where the squeaks are. Inspect from below and see if you can find the offending nail that is sliding around. If visible, bend it out of the way of the obstruction. If there is a gap between the 1 by planking and the floor joists, add a shim to stop vertical movement. I would try this before going to town with screws on a hardwood floor. Someday, you (or another owner) may want to refinish these floors. Many people are getting rid of carpeting these days due to allergies. Would be a shame to deface a solid floor.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: