Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Hardwood floor adhesive removal

IN

04-08-13, 05:17 AM   #1  
Hardwood floor adhesive removal

Good morning all,

I am in search of some advice. I recently discovered hardwood floors on the first floor of my house. 2 of the rooms just had carpet and padding over them but the third.... oh the third room... My living room had adhesive back vinyl tile under the carpet and padding. Getting that stuff out was... well... a adventure. 3 days on my hands and knees with a floor scrapper, a respirator and a heat gun. Well, three days (and a lot of Aleve and icy hot for my back)later I finally got the tile out. Then I had to contend with the adhesive. About half of the adhesive from the tiles remained on the floor. I went to Lowes and found a product called Citristrip. I used a paint roller to roll it on the floors and used the same floor scrapper (a device with a handle about 2 feet long and a long razor blade at the end) to remove a large portion of the adhesive. Again, it was very slow going. After using the hardwood safe stripper I've gone back over it several times using GoofOff.

At this point, i have gotten as much of as I can. You don't stick to it when you walk over it any more but there still seems to be a kind of shiny oily reside on the floor. No matter how much I use the scrapper I can't seem to get it off. I plan to refinish the floor in all three rooms and my concern is that the residual adhesive residue on the floor is going to gum up the pads on the sander. Can anyone offer any advice on how to remove the residue?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

04-08-13, 05:28 AM   #2  
Welcome to the forums!

Have you tried sanding? it will involve refinishing the floor.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

IN

04-08-13, 07:09 AM   #3  
Well, I plan on refinishing the floor anyway. The problem though is that the residue is tacky. I tried sanding it a bit with my palm sander and after about 30 seconds the sandpaper was quite gummed up. Im thinking the same will happen when I use a large floor sander. That's why I figured I needed to remove the adhesive residue first.

SC

04-08-13, 12:08 PM   #4  
Since you are planning to refinish the floor anyway, you might try some spot applications of some common chemicals to see if one will remove the residue. Rubbing alcohol, mineral spirits, lacquer thinner, acetone, denatured alcohol, are some of these. These all have their own requirements for safe use. One of these with a scotchbrite pad might take it off the floor.

Chris

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

04-08-13, 12:43 PM   #5  
I didn't realize the adhesive was still tacky. Mineral spirits, a stiff rag and lots of elbow grease is usually effective. Make sure you have some ventilation and no lit cigarettes!

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Search this Thread